Posted in: Odd News

McDonald’s Serves Detergent Instead Of Soda In China

McDonald's

A McDonald’s location in Northeastern China accidentally served detergent to one of its customers.

A man recently ordered food for himself and his girlfriend at one of the restaurant’s locations. According to Kotaku, the man accidentally picked up a cup of detergent set on the counter by an employee. Thinking it was his soda, the man gave the cup to the woman to drink.

After consuming the beverage, the guy’s girlfriend began to experience a strong burning sensation in her throat and esophagus. Concerned about her well-being, the man took the woman to a nearby hospital for treatment. She was later diagnosed with erosive gastritis.

The man explained to Want China Times:

“This has caused great harm to me and my girlfriend. My girlfriend is still receiving treatment in hospital.”

The Shanghaiist reports that the man returned to the McDonald’s location to get to the bottom of the situation. After a quick discussion with the people behind the counter, he learned that one of the employees set a cup of detergent on the counter during the couple’s visit to the restaurant.

The man is reportedly asking the company to cover any hospital or medical bills that arise as a result of the accidental poisoning. McDonald’s representatives have since apologized for the snafu. The fast food chain also agreed to compensate the couple for their troubles. However, the amount of this pay-out was not disclosed.

Last month, McDonald’s and Yum! Brands Inc. agreed to work with Chinese officials after it was reported that the companies were suppling restaurants with potentially unhealthy chicken. According to Bloomberg, the companies were accused of feeding their chickens antibiotics and growth hormones.

What do you think about McDonald’s serving detergent to one of its customers? Do you think the company should cover all of the young woman’s hospital bills?

Articles And Offers From The Web

Comments

14 Responses to “McDonald’s Serves Detergent Instead Of Soda In China”

  1. Suzan Gregory

    they did not hand the cup to the guy. the guy picked it up of the counter. now it should not have been put on the counter but it was just a mistake.

  2. Sarah West Legate

    I am pretty sure one little sip , or even looking through the lid would have tipped me off, that something was not right with my icy cold coke. probably would not have drank enough to cause erosive gastritis.

  3. Ann Schulze

    McDonalds didn't serve it, the man pick up the cup but the fault is still McDonalds because cleaning products should not be left unattended on a surface where food is served. Yes, McDonalds should pay for the medical expenses.

  4. Grady Nelson

    Sounds like a setup to me. How is it that this woman drank a cup of soap and did not realize it? Soap tastes nothing like soda where I'm from….

  5. Terry McMillan

    I think McDonalds should pay for the medical expenses and learned a lesson. Anything that is not food or drink should NOT be placed on the counter!

  6. Tony Dirtymane Ishmeal

    ok mcdonalds is to blame don't get me wrong but if I read this right the dumb bitch drank the whole beverage wtf is that after one sip I would have been spitting up a storm only a fraction would have gotton down my throat what a dig bat.

  7. Tony Dirtymane Ishmeal

    i think after she realized it she and her boyfriend decided she should drink some of it so she could go to the hospital and sue the hell out of em which im all for but i would never poison myself on purpose like this dumb ass there is no other explanation there is no way she drank dish washing soap and thought it was soda

  8. Chris Demme

    you've gotta be seriously chugging that liquid to not notice that it's detergent and not soda….also I'm betting it wasn't even in a soda cup