Michael Crabtree Under Investigation For Sexual Assault, Will Play In NFC Championship
Michael Crabtree is under investigation for sexually assaulting a woman after the San Francisco 49ers victory last week over the Green Bay Packers.
The attack allegedly took place in the early morning hours on Sunday after his team won to advance to the NFC Championship game. The San Francisco Chronicle reported that Michael Crabtree was under investigation from the Special Victims Unit, and met with detectives along with his lawyer.
Crabtree has also made himself available to police officials for future interviews, NFL.com noted.
The 25-year-old player was not detained or arrested, and is slated to take the field for the 49ers in their game Sunday against the Atlanta Falcons.
As the 49ers arrived in Atlanta to begin preparations for Sunday’s NFC Championship game, the team released a statement addressing the allegation of sexual assault against Michael Crabtree:
“We are aware of the allegation against Michael and understand that he has fully cooperated with authorities,” GM Trent Baalke said. “The 49ers take such matters very seriously. We will have no further comment at this time as the legal process is ongoing. Additional requests for comment should be directed to Michael’s attorney.”
Michael Crabtree had three inconsistent seasons after being drafted with the 10th overall pick in the 2009 NFL draft, but had a career-best season in 2012. Last week, he had nine catches for 119 yards and two touchdowns
Police in San Francisco said that the investigation into Michael Crabtree’s alleged sexual assault is ongoing, but they are still gathering details to create a timeline of the incident.