Posted in: TV

NBC May Try Another ‘Munsters’ Reboot After Canceling ‘Mockingbird Lane’

NBC considering a different Munsters reboot

It appears NBC isn’t quite ready to give up on a reboot of the Munsters.

Bob Greenblatt, chairman of the network, said he wouldn’t mind revisiting the series in the future.

“I’m not saying we won’t maybe try another version of The Munsters again,” Greenblatt said after NBC’s executive session at TCA. “It’s a good idea, we just have to figure out how to get it right.”

Greenblatt also said that, despite a great leading cast in Jerry O’Connell, Portia de Rossi, and Eddie Izzard, Mockingbird Lane – the network’s $10 million reboot attempt — didn’t quite work creatively.

“It’s a very tricky tone to strike because we tried to make it not just a sitcom and a silly old-fashioned one at that; we turned it into an hour, which automatically has more dramatic weight than a half-hour,” Greenblatt said. “It’s hard to calibrate how much weirdness vs. supernatural vs. family story and I think we just didn’t get the mix right.”

The pilot for Mockingbird Lane ended up being aired as a one-hour Halloween special, and the Peacock Network officially pulled the plug on the reboot last week. X-Men: Days of Future Past director Bryan Singer and Pushing Daisies writer Bryan Fuller had both been attached to the reboot. Singer is now developing a Twilight Zone reboot for CBS TV Studios and Fuller has recently developed Hannibal for NBC. The series will focus on the relationship between Dr. Hannibal Lecter, a forensic psychiatrist, and FBI criminal profiler Will Graham.

Fuller broke the news that Mockingbird Lane wouldn’t be airing on December 27.

Do you think NBC should continue pursuing a Munsters reboot, or should the network leave it alone?

Articles And Offers From The Web

Comments