Lance Armstrong’s attorney has firmly denied a New York Times report that said the former cyclist has decided to admit to the doping charges that saw him stripped of his seven Tour de France titles.
Tim Herman said he has no knowledge that Armstrong has made any such decision and denied his client had contacted the USADA chief executive, Travis Tygart, and David Howman, director general of the World Anti-Doping Agency.
Speaking to The Associated Press, Herman said:
“When, and if, Lance has something to say, there won’t be any secret about it.”
On Friday, a New York Times article said that Armstrong had told associates that he was considering admitting to using performance-enhancing drugs.
In their anonymously cited report, it was alleged that Armstrong believed a confession could help restore his shatteed reputation and kick-start an athletic career in running events and triathlons.
As previously reported by The Inquisitr, although Armstrong was banned for life from cycling and cannot compete in athletic events sanctioned by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency and the World Anti-Doping Agency, he has adamantly denied doping allegations.
A winner of the Tour de France between 1999-2005, the former cyclist became an inspirational hero for milllions after he fought and survived testicular cancer that also affected his lungs and brain.
Following a comprehensive report by the USADA alleging long term drug use by Armstrong and his teammates on his US Postal Service team, Armstrong’s career was effectively decimated. Corporate sponsors deserted him and he recently stepped down from the board of Livestrong — the cancer charity he founded in 1997.
Further challenges beckon for Armstrong in 2013.
CBS News reports that the US Department of Justice is mulling whether to join a federal whistle-blower lawsuit filed by former Armstrong teammate Floyd Landis.
Adding to Armstrong’s woes, a Dallas-based promotions company is also seeking to recover millions that they paid to Armstrong for winning the Tour de France.
Additionally, the UK’s Sunday Times newspaper is suing Armstrong to recover the $500,000 they paid to him to settle a previous libel lawsuit, said ABC News.