San Francisco 49ers placekicker David Akers said Thursday he closed his Twitter account after receiving death threats on the social media site last month.
Akers said he did not go back further in his account to see how many death threats he had received. After he saw the threats, he reported them to the team and NFL security personnel. The team and the league said they were aware of the situation.
The 38-year-old said, “It was Twitter stuff. I got off there, so I won’t deal with that anymore.” He said he didn’t take the situation lightly and “went through the proper people and what they felt like was safe.”
As we reported last month, Akers received death threats after he missed 10 of his 35 field goal attempts. This was after he set an NFL record the year before by hitting 44 field goals.
This wasn’t the first time a 49er received death threats. Receiver Kyle Williams was also threatened after fumbling two punt returns during the NFC championship game in January.
According to USA Today, Akers also revealed that he had undergone double hernia surgery last February. He went back to the same doctor after a game against the New Orleans Saints on November 25 to have injections after he had a flare up during practice.
Currently, Akers is 29 for 42 field goals attempts. His missed two attempts last Sunday in the regular-season finale against the Arizona Cardinals. He later made two field goals, and the 49ers won that game 27-13.
The 49ers ended the regular season 11-4-1 to take first place in the NFC West.