Two Inch Feather Exits Baby’s Neck
7-month-old Mya Whittington of Hutchinson, Kansas was the victim of something very unusual on Saturday, but thankfully not life-threatening, says ABCNews.com.
Her father Aaron Whittington told ABC News concerning Mya:
I was at work and my wife noticed that the left side of her neck had started to swell, and she called me at work and asked if we should take her to the emergency room.”
The couple had decided to wait, assuming it may just be a swollen gland. They remembered her crying and pulling at the area just under her ear for a few weeks, but they hadn’t made the connection. They had thought that maybe she was just teething or suffering an ear infection.
“Sunday morning, when we woke up, it had doubled in size and there was a pimple-looking thing on the end of it. We’re looking at it and going, ‘There’s no way this is a swollen gland.’”
When they finally brought Mya in, the Doctors thought she had a staph infection in her lymph nodes. However, when they attempted to drain it, nothing came out. Hours later, what appeared to be a string had protruded from the side of Mya’s face.
Whittington then added:
“[The pediatrician] threw on gloves and she pulled out a 2-inch feather and she’s like, ‘It’s a feather.’ And we’re like, ‘What do you mean it’s a feather?’ And she showed us.”
As far as how the feather got into the side of the neck, our doctor says we’ll probably never really know. But her best guess is that she either inhaled it or tried swallowing it and it got lodged in the throat somewhere, and the body, just being crazy, just started to reject it and force it out the side of her neck.”
Mya has recovered in good health and returned home on Wednesday, reported The Associated Press. She became a sort of celebrity, with local media begging the parents for interviews.
Rumors are stating that she had apparently swallowed the feather out of her pillow, though no one knows for sure.