Roseanne Barr says she plans to keep her personal political views out of the upcoming reboot of her hit 1980s/’90s sitcom. On the heels of ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey’s recent comments about politics and the eight-episode Roseanne reboot, Barr is setting the record straight about the Conner family’s modern day conversations.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, Dungey recently announced that the limited Roseanne revival would promote honesty by “tackling some of the topics that are in the conversation today.”
“We’ll bring back a point of view that has really been missing on the air,” Dungey said at the Banff World Media Festival earlier this week, according to THR.
“What the election revealed was that there’s parts of our country that didn’t feel heard, that they didn’t have a voice…it was kind of a big surprise to many people that the election turned out as it did.”
Barr, who famously ran for president as a Green Party candidate in 2012, and even made a documentary about it, has been falsely described as a Trump supporter. But last summer, Roseanne told the Daily Beast she planned to vote for herself as a write-in candidate in the presidential election.
Roseanne, who has been vocal about her respect for Donald Trump’s self-funded presidential campaign, took to Twitter to assure fans that the characters in the Roseanne reboot won’t be getting political or offer any type of support for the controversial U.S. president.
In an all-caps post, Barr revealed exactly what the Roseanne reboot would portray.
“MY NEW SHOW IS NOT ABOUT TRUMP!” Barr tweeted. “IT’S ABOUT A MIDWESTERN FAMILY.”
MY NEW SHOW IS NOT ABOUT TRUMP! IT'S ABOUT A MIDWESTERN FAMILY.
— Roseanne Barr (@therealroseanne) June 14, 2017
While many Roseanne fans are happy about the star’s clarification, the news may come as a bit of a disappointment to presidential counselor Kellyanne Conway, who tweeted that she “might have to start watching TV” when she first heard Roseanne would have a pro-Trump slant.
May have to start watching TV. https://t.co/3Ek0R5Rp8S
— Kellyanne Conway (@KellyannePolls) June 14, 2017
Although Roseanne Barr denies the new version of her show will have a Trump twist, an insider told Page Six the TV star was clearly overheard talking about Roseanne’s connection to the election at the ABC upfronts in May.
According to the celebrity gossip site, an insider at the network’s upfronts heard Goodman say, “I never thought in a million years we’d be back,” and Barr reportedly told him, “I did. As soon as I saw the election results, I knew we’d be back.”
— The A.V. Club (@TheAVClub) June 15, 2017
The Roseanne reboot came to fruition shortly after series alum John Goodman made an appearance on his TV daughter, Sara Gilbert’s CBS chatfest, The Talk, in March. Viewers loved the duo’s spoof of their Roseanne days during the former co-stars’ reunion on The Talk, and within weeks, the reboot was in the works.
In addition to Roseanne Barr, original series regulars John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, Sara Gilbert, Michael Fishman, Lecy Goranson, and Sarah Chalke have all signed on to the sitcom revival. The Roseanne reboot is slated to air for eight episodes in 2018 on ABC.
Take a look at the video below for more on Roseanne Barr’s return to TV with the Roseanne reboot.
[Featured Image by Todd Williamson/Getty Images for TV Land]