Bryan Fuller gives the Hannibal fans an early Christmas present—the show is back on the table, and Mads Mikkelsen and Hugh Dancy are on board, reported TV Guide.
Since the show’s cancellation in 2015, the Hannibal fans have been begging Fuller to bring the series back to life. Last year, Bryan revealed that he planned to bring the series back, but it would take a few years. At the time Fuller was working on the Starz drama, American Gods. With Season 1 filming wrapped, the Hannibal genius is ready to write his script for Season 4.
In 2015, NBC revealed that Hannibal was canceled and wouldn’t return for Season 4. At the time, the fans and cast of the show remained hopeful that Fuller would find a new home for the series. Many times when a show is canceled, the showrunner works tirelessly to find a new network home like in the case of Nashville.
Since then, Bryan has pitched Hannibal to multiple networks with no confirmation of the series being picked up. The only evidence that Fuller has given is that he did pitch his idea to Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen and they both were excited to come back.
“I have conversations with Martha De Laurentiis. I have conversations with Mads and Hugh. We’re are all excited about the prospect of returning to the story. There are some hurdles to get through. The rights revert back to Martha in September, I believe. Then it’s a matter of, ‘Do we do it with Gaumont?’ Which would be the only way to do it if we wanted to use those characters.”
It looks like Bryan has been talking about the series with former executive producer, Martha De Laurentiis, who produced two of the Hannibal movies, Hanibal and Red Dragon.
Fuller explained that given the fact that in just a few months Laurentiis will regain the rights to the series, returning for Season 4 finally feels like a real possibility. If Hannibal were to come back, they would have to work with Gaumont Television production company if they wanted to use the same characters, but Fuller didn’t think that would be a real issue.
— Entertainment Weekly (@EW) May 24, 2017
Bryan believes that Dancy and Mikkelsen would jump at the chance to come back to the series. Mikkelsen spoke out about playing Hannibal last year and expressed his desire for the show to return. He added that he didn’t feel as if the show was really over as Hanibal and Will’s story is still unresolved.
“I just had a very good idea for Season 4,” Bryan Fuller said.
“There’s an interesting next chapter in the relationship between Will Graham and Hannibal Lecter that would be fascinating to unpack. I’ve shared it with the gentlemen, and they’re both keen on it.”
De Laurentiis and Fuller now work together on American Gods on Starz. Bryan added that given the nature of Hannibal, he felt maybe it would be a better fit for Starz.
According to Cinema Blend, Hulu and Netflix could not save the series back in 2015 because Amazon had exclusive rights to the series. Fuller revealed that Hannibal’s right would be given back to Laurentiis so that the series could return.
— ComicBook NOW! (@ComicBookNOW) May 24, 2017
Mikkelsen and Dancy have remained busy with other projects. Mads said last year, if Fuller can make Season 4 happen, he would clear his schedule for filming.
Bryan Fuller believes that maybe a shorter season of six to eight episodes would be a better fit for Hanibal’s return.
We’ll have to sit back and wait to see if Bryan Fuller and Martha De Laurentiis can make Hannibal’s return a reality. If there were ever a show that could resurrect from the dead, it would Hannibal.
Would you like to see Hanibal return for Season 4?
[Featured Image by Andrew Toth/Getty Images]