Posted in: Odd News

Vodka Makes Man Go Blind, Whiskey Lets Him See

johnnie walker black

A man in New Zealand went blind recently after drinking too much vodka. Thankfully, Denis Duthie’s doctors prescribed him a glass of whiskey.

According to the NZ Herald, the 65-year-old’s sight was restored thanks to a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black.

So here’s the story. Duthie, a tutor at New Playmoth’s Western Institute of Technology, drank a few glasses of vodka from a bottle that he had received as a present from his students. Duthie had a bad diabetic reaction to the vodka and ended up losing his sight.

Duthie said:

“I thought it had got dark and I’d missed out on a bit of time but it was only about half-past-three in the afternoon. I was fumbling around the bedroom for the light switch but … I’d just gone completely blind. I don’t remember much after I arrived in hospital. I know the doctor told my wife to say goodbye because they didn’t think I’d be coming out again.”

The doctors examined Duthie and found the smell of “nail polish remover” emitting from his body. The doctors decided that Duthie was probably suffering from formaldehyde poisoning, which can occur when you ingest methanol, and decided to treat it with ethanol, which is found in alcoholic beverages like whiskey.

Unfortunately, Duthie didn’t get to taste the whiskey. The doctor’s administered the Johnnie Walker Black Label through a tube into his stomach.

Duthie said:

“I woke up five days later and I could see as soon as I could open my eyes. I thought it was pretty bloody good – I’m alive. The hospital was absolutely awesome. Couldn’t have been better.”

Alcohol really is the cause of, and solution to, all of life’s problems.

Articles And Offers From The Web

Comments