Brothers 7 And 10 Accidentally Take LSD
Easton, PA — It apparently turned out to be a very “bad trip” to school. Two brothers, ages 7 and 10, on their way to elementary school reportedly drank liquid LSD from a bottle of breath mint drops that was laying on the ground. By the time they got to the schoolhouse, the two Pennsylvania siblings were “foaming at the mouth and hallucinating” according to AP. They were rushed to the hospital and released the next day, so fortunately it appears they are okay.
The incident occurred on September 24, but yesterday the local prosecutor formally acknowledged that the brothers ingested the hallucinogen (formal name Lysergic acid diethylamide) after his office conducted an investigation into the horrifying incident involving LSD found on the street.
Northampton County District Attorney John Morganelli also said that police were unable to obtain fingerprints on the bottle to trace it. He added that the boys’ mother and live-in boyfriend tested negative for drugs.
The Foundation for a Drug-Free World explains that dropping acid can cause delusions, hallucinations, panic attacks, impaired time and depth perception, and severe depression among other things. Physical effects can include dilated pupils, high blood pressure, abnormally high or low body temperature, and tremors. Depending upon the dose and other factors, the effects start within 30 minutes could last as long as 12 hours.
According to University of Washington neuroscientist, LSD is still a mystery to some degree even after all these years:
“LSD has a chemical structure that is very similar to the neurotransmitter called serotonin. It is thought that the effects of LSD are caused by stimulation of serotonin receptors on neurons, perhaps in the brain area called the raphe nuclei. However, it is still not clear what produces all the effects of LSD.”