Toronto — A former top Salvation Army executive was arrested Monday in the theft of $2 million in toys and other donated goods.
Fifty-one-year-old David Rennie was taken into custody after he turned himself in. The former executive director of the charity’s Toronto operations faces charges of theft over $5,000, criminal breach of trust, and possession of property.
Rennie was released pending a January 4 court hearing.
“We’re alleging the thefts took place under David Rennie’s control and without the permission of the Salvation Army,” Detective Sgt. Jim Gotell said. “We’re alleging that the toys were going to be redirected to other parties and sold for profit.”
The Toronto Star said investigators were looking for an unidentified second person of interest who was connected to Northern Sales Group, a company with a warehouse that authorities suspect was involved in the scheme.
The thefts took place over two years. Police were alerted to the crime November 6 after the missing goods were detected in an internal audit by the organization.
David Rennie had been placed on paid leave after an employee blew the whistle on the theft in August. He was fired last week, the Star said.
Acting on a tip, police found many of the stolen goods in a warehouse raid in Brampton Friday. More goods were found in a second warehouse in North York Saturday.
According to the Toronto Star, police also executed search warrants at two residences in Toronto and Durham region where documents were seized.
The charity has said it will work to ensure that a theft never happens again.