Deadly Mushroom Poisoning Kills Another Senior Citizen In California
Loomis, CA – Deadly mushroom poisoning has killed another senior citizen in California. As previously reported on The Inquisitr, two senior citizens residing at an assisted living facility in California died last week from ingesting foraged backyard ingredients intended for a soup. This mushroom poisoning victim makes for the third death at the senior home, Gold Age Villa.
State Department of Social Services spokesman Oscar Ramirez told the Associated Press Wednesday that the person died on Saturday. The victim’s name was not released.
The soup was quickly pinpointed as the source of the poisonings because the only person living at the senior home who did not get sick also did not eat dinner that night. The mushroom poisoning first took place on November 8, with the other poisoning victims having been identified as Barbara Lopes, 86, and Teresa Olesniewicz, 73.
The forager was probably looking for the wild chanterelle mushrooms. In Northern California, it’s the picking season for this species. Unfortunately, it’s also the season for amanita species of mushrooms which include what are known as “death cap” and “death angel” varieties. Young poisonous North American amanitas deceptively appear similar to an edible version of a popular wild mushroom.
According to USA Today, the “California Department of Public Health periodically issues warnings about consumption of wild mushrooms, especially after someone eats a poisonous variety and falls ill. The state recorded 1,700 cases of mushroom-related illnesses from 2009 to 2010, including two deaths. State food regulations do not prohibit the use of foraged ingredients in food prepared at care facilities, though they do prevent the use of home-canned foods and unpasteurized milk.”
This deadly mushroom poisoning at the senior center will likely raise awareness of the dangers of wild mushrooms. Have you ever tried foraging for mushrooms for your evening stew?