Chances are high that if you’ve played Assassin’s Creed III on the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360, you’ve run into one or more issues while playing through Connor and Desmond’s respective stories–even with the day-one patch that was released on October 30.
Users have been reporting abnormalities from NPCs being half-submerged in the ground (which looks hilarious, admittedly) to mission-critical triggers not activating, forcing you to restart from a checkpoint–or worse, the whole mission (not quite as hilarious).
Fortunately, Ubisoft says that a good number of these issues will be fixed with Assassin’s Creed 3‘s next patch, which will be making its way to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 by the end of next week. Presumably the patch will also be coming with the PC version when it’s released next week.
There’s no specific mention of a fix to NPCs getting partially swallowed by the Earth, but there’s an absolutely massive list of changes and fixes for both the singleplayer section of the game and the multiplayer section.
For singleplayer, just about everything has seen at least one fix–specific regions, specific missions, and general game fixes. Some fix missing audio cues, while others address progression-blocking issues involving NPCs not doing what they’re supposed to and the like.
The list is far too massive to post here, but you can check out some of the singleplayer fixes below to see if a mission you’ve been having trouble with has been fixed. If you’d prefer to read the whole thing, you can head over to this link.
Keep in mind that there may be some minor to significant spoilers, so view at your own discretion.
Location: Sequence 1 – 12
– Mission – “A DEADLY PERFORMANCE” – Mission result screen could show an incorrect sync reward
– Mission – “A DEADLY PERFORMANCE” – Players could be stuck in the opera if they backtracked in a certain way after killing the target.
– Mission – “INFILTRATING SOUTHGATE” – Target would not be spawned if the player failed to perform a meat shield during the firing line tutorial
– Mission – “INFILTRATING SOUTHGATE” – Fixed multiple bugs where the guard on the boat could walk in circles, stay stuck or jump on the railing.
– Mission – “JOHNSON’S ERRAND” – Fixed floating muskets after a cinematic.
– Mission – “JOHNSON’S ERRAND” – Moved HUD icon on the explosive barrel on the ground instead of above the cart, because that’s what the player needs to shoot.
– Mission – “JOHNSON’S ERRAND” – prevent the player from using hide spots during part the mission to avoid a possible mission break.
– Mission – “THE SOLDIER” – Fixed a missing audio line.
– Mission – “THE SURGEON” – Fixed a bug where the eavesdropping tutorial couldn’t be completed if the mission was restarted.
– Mission – “THE SURGEON” – Fixed NPC not reacting to the player’s presence during the steal tutorial.
– Mission – “THE SURGEON” – Fixed optional objectives that could fail too easily.
– Mission – “WELCOME TO BOSTON”- When replaying the mission, when asked to buy a sword and pistol, those items would already be purchased.
– Mission – “WELCOME TO BOSTON” – Fixed Possible mission break if the player shoots the horse he’s supposed to ride.
– Mission – “UNCONVINCED” – Fixed a bug where the player could enter the tavern too early and break the mission.
– Mission – “UNCONVINCED” – Blocked accidental blending during the tavern fight, which could break the mission.
– Mission – “FEATHERS AND TREES” – Fixed a bug where the optional objective “Do not touch the ground” could fail too easily.
– Mission – “HUNTING LESSONS” – Fixed the issue where the bear could flee and eventually freeze.
– Mission – “A BOORISH MAN” – After the mission, the candelabra would display an interaction effect while the secret door to the basement was already opened.
– Mission – “RIVER RESCUE” – Blocked the player from diving in the river too early which could break the mission.
– Mission – “STOP THE PRESSES” – Cinematic could sometimes not trigger, breaking the mission.
– Mission – “THE HARD WAY” – Fixed the optional objective “Do not take any damage” that would fail if the player hits rocks even if it doesn’t deal damage to the ship
– Mission – “ON JOHNSON’S TRAIL” – Fixed issue where Chapheau could become inactive if the player dragged the fight far from where it started.
– Mission – “THE ANGRY CHEF” – Fixed issue where the “limit health loss” optional objective would wrongly fail if the player reloads a checkpoint or dies. Also fix the displayed limit to 33% as that’s what’s actually used.
– Mission – “THE ANGRY CHEF” – fixed missing butcher hatchet during cinematic if blood option is turned off
– Mission – “BRIDEWELL PRISON” – Closed the cell doors while being escorted to prevent the player from getting stuck in them
– Mission – “BRIDEWELL PRISON” – fixed voices becoming muffled mid-eavesdropping
– Mission – “SOMETHING ON THE SIDE” – Fixed missing ocean during the chase
– Mission – “SOMETHING ON THE SIDE” – Made the chase part easier
– Mission – “A BITTER END” – Fixed a camera glitch if the player reloads last checkpoint during a certain cinematic
– Mission – “A BITTER END” – Fixed a glitch that could happen if the player restarted the mission during a specific cinematic
– Mission – “FATHER AND SON” – Fixed a bug where the guard you’re supposed to kill would not reappear if the player starts fighting him and then runs away.
– Mission – “FATHER AND SON” – The mission could not be completed if the guard the player kills the target he’s supposed to steal using a stealth kill from bench or a rope-dart hanging move.
– Mission – “MISSING SUPPLIES” – Disabled a patrol that would almost guarantee failing the mission if they detected and started fighting Haytham
– Mission – “ALTERNATE METHODS” – Made the chase section easier
– Mission – “BROKEN TRUST” – fixed a bug where the player could be stuck on a horse if he exited and re-entered the Animus at a specific moment
– Mission – “LEE’S LAST STAND” – removed a destructible barrel that could cause problems if used as part of a contextual counter-attack.
– Mission – “CHASING LEE” – Adjusted difficulty on the Charles Lee chase
– Mission – “LAID TO REST” – Fixed a bug where the mission could be failed if redcoats start fighting the mission targets