NBC has started a new holiday tradition and fans are more than excited. Since 2013, NBC has premiered live musical theater productions every holiday season. In 2013 it was Sound of Music Live!, followed by Peter Pan Live! in 2014, then The Wiz Live! in 2015 and now Hairspray Live! that premiered on Dec. 7, 2016. The live musical production was a huge success if social media comments are a gauge. For those who missed the live streaming video or the NBC show, it’s not too late to watch the movie turned Broadway musical. Those who watch shows online often have to log in through a cable or satellite subscription. Many find this confusing, especially when it comes to network channels that are picked up with a digital antenna. Yahoo View added Hairspray Live! and viewers may watch it for free. Additionally, Hulu subscribers will be able to watch Hairspray Live! beginning Dec. 8, 2016. You can see NBC videos from the musical event in the video playlist above. Check NBC Live for behind-the-scenes streaming coverage of Hairspray Live! NBC on Demand has added the full musical video as well.
NBC’s new live musical tradition has become a huge hit. The network announced earlier this year that Jennifer Lopez will star in the live production of Bye Bye Birdie Live! coming in December 2017. It’s unknown how long NBC will continue with the live musical events, but many hope they will make this a long-standing tradition. There are many people who will never see a Broadway production in person or have never seen their community’s musical theater productions. NBC live productions have become a great introduction to theater and the arts for those who have never attended a live show. As the events feature famous actors, actresses, and singers they are drawing audiences who otherwise might remain in the dark regarding the arts, the shows are a great introduction to theater.
Carrie Underwood, Stephen Moyer, Christopher Walken, Allison Williams, Common, Amber Riley, Shanice Williams, and Uzo Aduba are just some of the names that have been featured in NBC live shows. NBC continues to cast people from varying theater, musical, and television backgrounds. The result has been that each NBC live special has been met with critical acclaim. Hairspray Live! is no exception. At a time when musical, theater and arts programs are being cut from public schools nationwide, live theater shows like Hairspray Live! are not only in high demand but are needed.
Hairspray Live! features an all-star cast that includes Tony, Grammy, and Oscar winners and renowned Broadway veterans.
Hairspray Live’s! plot delivers a timeless message that will resonate with audiences for years to come. Based on the 1988 film Hairspray by John Waters, the movie became a cult classic, like many of Waters’ pictures. The original film cast included Ricki Lake as Tracy Turnblad and Waters’ good friend Divine as Edna Turnblad. Divine first worked with Waters in 1974 and starred in many of Water’s movies. Waters would cast Ricki Lake in more of his films. Though Divine was known for being a drag queen, he identified as a gay male. Divine passed away in 1988 and sadly, Hairspray was his last role filmed while living. In 2002, Waters’ film was adapted for a Broadway musical. It was determined that the role of Edna Turnblad should continue to be played by a man dressed as a woman, as Waters’ intended. The first person to play Edna Turnblad on Broadway was Harvey Fierstein. Fierstein recreated the role in Hairspray Live!
Taking place in the sixties, Hairspray Live! focuses on character Tracy Turnblad played by Maddie Baillio and her fight for racial equality. Here is a full list of the Hairspray Live! cast.
- Maddie Baillio as Tracy Turnblad
- Harvey Fierstein as Edna Turnblad
- Martin Short as Wilbur Turnblad
- Kristin Chenoweth as Velma Von Tussle
- Dove Cameron as Amber Von Tussle
- Derek Hough as Corny Collins
- Jennifer Hudson as Motormouth Maybelle
- Shahadi Wright Joseph as Little Inez
- Ephraim Sykes as Seaweed J. Stubbs
- Garrett Clayton as Link Larkin
- Andrea Martin as Prudy Pingleton
- Ariana Grande as Penny Pingleton
- Rosie O’Donnell as The Gym Teacher
- Billy Eichner as Rob Barker
- Sean Hayes as Mr. Pinky
The original 1988 Hairspray movie is currently on Netflix. You must have a subscription in order to watch.
Amazon Prime members with unlimited streaming can listen to the Hairspray Live! soundtrack for free. The track listing is as follows.
- “Good Morning Baltimore” by Maddie Baillio; Hairspray LIVE! Ensemble
- “The Nicest Kids in Town” by Derek Hough; Hairspray LIVE! Ensemble
- “Mama, I’m a Big Girl Now” by Maddie Baillio;Ariana Grande;Dove Cameron;Harvey Fierstein;Andrea Martin;Kristin Chenoweth; Hairspray LIVE! Ensemble
- “I Can Hear the Bells” by Maddie Baillio; Hairspray LIVE! Ensemble
- (The Legend of) “Miss Baltimore Crabs” by Kristin Chenoweth; Hairspray LIVE! Ensemble
- “Ladies’ Choice” by Derek Hough; Hairspray LIVE! Ensemble
- “It Takes Two” by Garrett Clayton; Maddie Baillio; Hairspray LIVE! Ensemble
- “Velma’s Revenge” by Kristin Chenoweth
- “Welcome to the 60’s” by Maddie Baillio; Harvey Fierstein; Sean Hayes; Dynamites; Hairspray LIVE! Ensemble
- “Run and Tell That” by Ephraim Sykes; Shahadi Wright Joseph; Hairspray LIVE! Ensemble
- “Big, Blonde and Beautiful” by Jennifer Hudson; Hairspray LIVE! Ensemble
- (You’re) “Timeless to Me” by Martin Short; Harvey Fierstein
- “Good Morning Baltimore” (Reprise) by Maddie Baillio
- “Without Love” by Garrett Clayton; Maddie Baillio; Ariana Grande; Ephraim Sykes; Hairspray LIVE! Ensemble
- “I Know Where I’ve Been” by Jennifer Hudson; Hairspray LIVE! Ensemble
- (It’s) “Hairspray” by Derek Hough; Hairspray LIVE! Ensemble
- “Cooties” by Dove Cameron; Hairspray LIVE! Ensemble
- “You Can’t Stop the Beat” by Maddie Baillio; Garrett Clayton; Ariana Grande; Ephraim Sykes; Harvey Fierstein; Martin Short; Jennifer Hudson; Dove Cameron; Kristin Chenoweth; Hairspray LIVE! Ensemble
- “Come So Far” (Got So Far to Go) by Ariana Grande; Jennifer Hudson; Hairspray LIVE! Ensemble
There was so much social buzz during the live show, that Twitter Moments might be the best way to relive the excitement. If you haven’t watched the show and are going to watch on Hulu video Dec. 8, 2016, you might not want to check out the videos below as they might spoil the show.
[Featured Image by Brian Bowen Smith/NBC (used with permission)]