U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel is reported to have rejected a move by President-elect Donald J. Trump to keep a “wide range of statements” made during his presidential campaign from being submitted as evidence during a trial for one of three civil cases currently proceeding against Trump University, which the Republican was reported to have a 92 percent interest in.
The first Trump fraud trial following the 2016 election is scheduled to begin on November 28, as reported by Reuters. The judge has stated that there is nothing to prevent the trial from proceeding.
“It would be wise for the plaintiffs, for the defendants, to look closely at trying to resolve this case given all else that’s involved,” Judge Curiel said with regard to the trial.
There are currently two cases before the judge involving Trump. Judge Curiel is joined by New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman in the list of those involved in cases against Trump who have faced the president-elect’s wrath.
“I have a judge who is a hater of Donald Trump,” one of the Trump-Curiel appraisals was previously quoted by the Inquisitr as saying. “He’s a hater. His name is Gonzalo Curiel.”
The Huffington Post quoted Trump in August, with regard to the attorney general getting a $15,000 “campaign contribution” following a meeting with President Barack Obama in Syracuse, New York. The Post went on to explain that the New York case was started by a former student named Tara Makaeff, not the attorney general.
Trump stated that a “day or two” after meeting with Obama, Eric Schneiderman brought “a lawsuit against me,” the third surrounding the controversial university resulting in the upcoming Trump fraud trial, possibly the first of several, if the plaintiffs and the president-elect do not come to an agreement.
Lawyers representing Donald Trump expressed the belief that the trial should be put off until 2017.
“Now’s the time to do the trial,” a lawyer representing the Trump University students was quoted. “Our clients have been waiting for six-and-a-half years.”
The students’ lawyer said that some of the plaintiffs were senior citizens.
CNN’s Don Lemon asked former Trump University student Sheri Winkelmann whether or not she believed that the organization was a fraud, as previously reported by the Inquisitr.
“Absolutely,” she stated.
“There was a lot of seniors there, people who had lost money in the stock market… working trying to rebuild their retirement, some husband-wife teams,” Winkelmann said of the other student she met at a Trump University course.
The former student, who reported that she partnered with a soldier during a $1,495, three-day introductory course, which she described as an exercise to try and up-sell a $34,995 course, to the point where instructors had students present their personal financial records in a seeming effort to weed out those with the ability to pay such seemingly exorbitant fees from those without.
A lawyer representing Donald Trump stated that “the last thing we need right now” is a fraud trial involving the president-elect rehashing events that occurred seven years ago. The defense team member went on to state that the trial is completely unrelated to the “momentous obligations” associated with the position of president of the United States.
In addition to owning 92 percent of the now-defunct university, which was never accredited as such, Donald Trump was reported to have complete control in decisions made with regard to the enterprise.
At a Republican primary debate in March, Donald Trump claimed that Trump University was ranked with an “A” by the Better Business Bureau.
“The Better Business Bureau just sent it,” Trump said while speaking with Bret Baier of Fox News with regard to some type of communication the BBB supposedly sent the night of the debate. “This just came in, we just got it.”
Anything that was sent to Donald Trump that evening “did not come from BBB,” according to Claire Rosenzweig with the organization. The real estate school was said to have had its rating with the BBB fall to a “D-” while it was operating. After the university accused of fraud closed its doors and complaints against it began to roll off of the BBB books with time, its rating was said to have increased to “A+.”
“No rating,” is the assessment of the BBB with regard to Trump University since September of 2015.
[Featured Image by Zach Gibson/Getty Images]