Teenager Has Emergency Stomach Removal After Liquid Nitrogen Cocktail
Lancaster, UK – A young woman had an emergency procedure to remove her stomach after drinking a cocktail that contained liquid nitrogen.
Gaby Scanlon, 18, was out with friends last Thursday, October 4 and reportedly became breathless and developed a severe stomach pain requiring that she be taken to the hospital. She was taken from a wine bar to the hospital where doctors performed the operation. She was diagnosed with a pierced stomach and is now in serious but stable condition. Authorities say that, had she not had the emergency procedure, she would have died, reports the BBC.
So what happened to her? She drank a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen.
According to a police statement:
“The premises involved have fully co-operated with all agencies and have suspended drinks involving liquid nitrogen. The investigation is still in its early stages and we are still interviewing witnesses to establish the full facts.”
But Doctor John Ashton, director of public health for Cumbria, said this:
“This girl is the victim of an irresponsible alcohol industry that’s now competing on gimmicks. Alcohol itself is a very dangerous thing if improperly handled and liquid nitrogen is a toxic chemical. It destroys human tissue.”
Though it was not made clear where Scanlon bought the drink, the bar that she was taken from has stopped selling it. They’ve also extended their “heartfelt best wishes” to the girl and her family “at this distressing time.”
Scanlon attends the Ripley St. Thomas Church of England Academy. The principal there says that Scanlon is one of the institution’s “most hardworking and mature students.” The school’s statement added:
“Our whole school community is shocked and upset at what has happened. Our thoughts and prayers are with Gaby, her family and her friends who are obviously upset and distressed. We are pleased to hear that she is making better than expected progress.”
Scanlon was out celebrating her 18th birthday.
Don’t drink anything with liquid nitrogen in it. Ever.