Dylan O’Brien almost died while filming Maze Runner: The Death Cure, the final installment of the trilogy. Will Dylan return to the scene of his nearly fatal accident? Should he continue acting in the film?
Maze Runner: The Death Cure reports of Dylan’s injuries were deliberately minimized. On March 18, writer James Dashner tweeted a report that O’Brien’s injuries were non-life-threatening and that he would be fine. Cinema Blend still has the tweet.
“I just want to let everyone know that yes, Dylan was hurt, but that he’s going to be okay. Not life threatening in any way.”
Dylan O’Brien was very seriously injured, though, and Dylan has missed six months of work. It has since been revealed by American Assassin producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura, in an interview with Hollywood Reporter, that O’Brien’s accident was very nearly fatal.
“He’s all better. It was more than disconcerting. I never saw him in his worst form, but it was described to me. It was really scary. He came close to dying, I’m pretty sure. It was enough to shake your core.”
The Maze Runner: The Death Cure accident has been the source of conflicting reports from the moment it happened. TMZ first reported that Dylan had been hit by a car and was badly hurt. Later sources indicated that O’Brien had just fallen off some set equipment, and he would be fine in a few weeks.
Dylan O’Brien though was obviously badly injured. Not only has it taken him six months to recover, but the Huffington Post discovered what actually happened.
Dylan was filming a Maze Runner: The Death Cure scene where he was supposed to climb from the hood of one car to the back of another while the cars were in motion. Huffington Post was able to access the records of Canada’s WorkSafeBC, a government organization that ensures safety in the workplace which described the accident.
“The transition from the trailing vehicle to the leading vehicle was changed to be done in one sequence instead of two. When the change was made to the sequence there was no meeting held to review the changes with all involved.”
Dylan O’Brien is described as “the worker” in all the documentation. Dylan’s name was redacted to protect his privacy.
“The sequence now relied upon driver co-ordination and performance to keep the vehicles close enough during the transition, as the worker making the transition would end up rigged to the trailing vehicle but physically riding on the back of the leading vehicle. On preliminary investigation, it appears that the trailing vehicle slowed prematurely.”
Considering the nature of Dylan O’Brien’s accident, it is completely understandable that he would be seriously injured. It sounds like he would have been dragged behind a moving car.
Maze Runner: The Death Cure was shot in Canada, and at the time, they had reportedly not cleared their worksite correctly with the proper authorities. WorkSafeBC found the makers of MazeRunner allegedly at fault in the accident.
Huffington Post summarized the statement.
“British Columbia’s work-safety agency says a film production company “failed” to ensure the safety of workers on the set of “Maze Runner: The Death Cure” when actor Dylan O’Brien was injured in March.”
Dylan O’Brien just returned to the set of Teen Wolf during the last week of September, and he is also at work on the set of American Assassin, but he has not returned to Maze Runner.
Maze Runner: The Death Cure will supposedly be filmed beginning in February of 2017 and is said to be coming out in 2018. There are rumors, though, that a lawsuit might be pending. That would be a logical conclusion considering WorkSafeBC’s statement and the extent of O’Brien’s injuries.
Is Dylan O’Brien suing 20th Century Fox? Is O’Brien still legally obligated to fulfill his contract to complete Maze Runner: The Death Cure? Does he want to?
RELATED REPORTS FROM THE INQUISITR
Will Dylan O’Brien return to the set of Maze Runner: The Death Cure, where they failed to protect him from a nearly fatal injury? There is no information available on any pending litigation, but the idea of a worker suing a company that “failed to ensure the safety,” of that worker is quite common. A lawsuit would also be very likely if this happened to a factory worker, who was injured in a dangerous workplace environment. The legal precedent should be the same.
O’Brien could at least try to recoup his medical bills, lost wages and a settlement for his pain, and suffering. He might also be allowed out of his contract if that is what he wants.
Why should Dylan O’Brien put his life at risk again after what happened last March? O’Brien has made no public statement about Maze Runner: The Death Cure. It is unknown if he wants to complete the movie, or if he has any sort of pending lawsuit. It is common knowledge that those involved in a lawsuit are not allowed to speak publicly about pending litigation.
Will Dylan O’Brien complete Maze Runner: The Death Cure?
[Featured Image by Dave Kotinsky/Getty Images]