apple-iphone-6-catches-fire-in-students-back-pocket

College Student’s iPhone Exploded During Class: Went Up In Flames In His Back Pocket

ABC 7 has reported that a student at Rowan College in Burlington County, New Jersey, had an iPhone explode during class. The iPhone went up in flames in his back pocket.

Darin Hlavaty was caught in a scary situation when his iPhone 6 suddenly went up in flames during Physical Science class. He was reaching for his pen when he suddenly felt a rush of hotness.

“I felt this crazy, hot burning in my leg. Right as class was starting, my phone started smoking in my pocket. It was a fire.”

Another student, Rebecca Bookbinder, spoke up about the fiery incident.

“Everyone was kind of like, ‘What is that? What is that?’ And then we all realized that’s his phone that combusted in the middle of class.

Hlavaty told reporters that he quickly flinched, grabbed the burning phone out of his pocket, threw it to the ground, and stomped on it to put out the fire.

A teacher did contact public safety to report the burning phone. The school spokesperson said the fire was put out by the time public safety had arrived. The students were safely moved to a different room.

A recall on the Galaxy Note 7 smartphone has recently been made public due to batteries exploding, but there has been nothing reported for the iPhone 6.

According to the Inquisitr, the Galaxy Note 7 issued a statement urging customers to exchange their Galaxy Note 7, as multiple units have either set on fire or exploded.

The investigation had determined that the problem in this case was the rechargeable lithium batteries.

Hlavaty said that his battery was dead in his iPhone 6 and was not charging during the incident.

“I’ve had it for about six months. The only thing that was wrong with it was a simple crack, but I don’t see a simple crack causing it to blow up in my pocket.”

Bookbinder was concerned for Hlavaty, but stressed how lucky he was to have not been seriously hurt.

“If you were on a phone call, had been sitting on your bed near a stack of papers, it could do a lot more damage than just burning a hole in your pocket. He’s very fortunate.”

The iPhone 6 exploding or catching fire isn’t the only issue affecting some users right now. The Apple iPhone 6 had several lawsuits due to what is being called “Touch Disease,” Tech Times reports.

iphone-6-had-previously-been-recalled-due-to-touch-disease
[Image via Shutterstock]

The touch-screens were becoming unresponsive, and even though they typically fixed themselves, it led to a dying out screen.

Interestingly, Hlavaty is not the only person who had their iPhone 6 explode. A cyclist two months ago suffered third-degree burns after his iPhone 6 went up in flames following a fall.

Gareth Clear, 36, said he had a minor fall from his bike and his iPhone 6, which was in his back pocket, went up in flames.

“I just saw smoke coming out of my back pocket, and then all of a sudden I felt this surging pain.”

Clear was in touch with Apple after the incident and said that he wasn’t blaming the company, but wanted to spread awareness, 9to5Mac reveals.

9to5Mac also reported that another iPhone 6 exploded during a flight to Hawaii. The Alaska Air spokesperson told reporters that no injuries were reported after the iPhone went up in flames.

“The fire was quickly extinguished by our flight attendants, who are trained for situations like these.”

While it is still unknown what is causing the iPhone 6 to catch fire, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission are urging people not to put their iPhone 6 in their back pocket or anywhere that it could possibly have substantial physical impact.

accc-is-urging-people-to-not-put-their-iphone-in-back-pockets
[Image via Shutterstock]

Apple is not commenting at this time, but did state that this incident will be investigated and customer safety is their first concern.

[Featured Image by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images]

Comments