A One Direction reunion will come eventually. Niall Horan initially predicted they would be back together in 18 months, so the hiatus could be half over. Of course, Niall said he was splitting the difference between one and two years to arrive at that figure. Now Horan tells relieved fans the reunion is “inevitable.”
Harry Styles believes the hiatus is good for them, and his reasoning is sound, as usual. Though it may not be what One Direction fans want to hear, it will ensure the longevity of all their careers, separately and together. Harry told The Mirror, he wanted the reunion to happen “naturally” when Niall Horan, Lewis Tomlinson, and Liam Payne were ready.
“I would never say we’ll never do anything again but it’s good for us to be exploring different things. Maybe at some point, everyone will want to do something again but it is better if it happens naturally.”
One Direction’s Niall Horan explained it another way when he spoke to York Region.
“For the foreseeable, it’s our own projects but I definitely would not rule out and won’t let anyone rule out the return of One Direction because it’s inevitable.”
A One Direction reunion “is inevitable,” according to Niall Horan. It absolutely will happen, just not now. There were multiple reasons for the hiatus. Number one was probably outright exhaustion, burnout, and stress. Secondly, the band needs to make certain changes and adjustments if they are going to have longevity either separately or together. It is also possible they are complying with certain contractual conditions.
When One Direction reunites things will be different, though. Here is a quick list of likely changes.
1. Expect Harry Styles, Liam Payne, and Niall Horan to have grown and matured musically. Their music will sound more complex, more authentic. Their voices and tones will be more stylized to their own tastes. Their music will have a signature sound.
2. Zayn Malik may return to the band eventually. Malik has said he would not rule out the possibility of joining his old band mates, and they would do well to take him. Zayn is proving himself to be quite talented.
3. When One Direction reunites they will probably not tour as often. Most adult bands don’t turn out an album every year with an accompanying tour. That is how bands start out, especially if they are young, but not how they can continue. It is simply too taxing. Expect a tour every two or three years, probably with fewer tour dates per month.
4. Harry Styles, Liam Payne, and Niall Horan will likely continue to produce solo efforts occasionally. If Zayn Malik returns, he too will continue his solo work.
5. One Direction’s new albums will take longer to produce than their previous albums that were turned out so rapidly. The band will take more time writing songs, and record them with more creativity. The different songs on each album will sound more diverse.
6. Eventually, Harry Styles, Liam Payne, Niall Horan and Louis Tomlinson will come back together and they may show up with their instruments. It is possible that some of them may either consistently or occasionally play guitar or keyboards.
7. One Direction will have a newer, more adult image. Their overall look will have changed, and their sound too will be created to appeal to people of all ages. They will require a broader range of appeal in order to last for decades to come.
8. The One Direction reunion will probably occur under new management. Expect 1D to change management and record labels when they reunite. It is unlikely that Simon Cowell, Syco Records, and Modest Management will all be a continuing part of 1D.
9. Harry Styles, Liam Payne, Niall Horan and Louis Tomlinson will demand more artistic freedom in their music, and that goes double if Zayn Malik is to be involved. They will likely work under a more substantial recording label, probably either Capitol or Columbia.
10. One Direction reunion music will rock! They are going to be more creative, more experienced and more talented than ever when they return from hiatus. They will each bring to the table everything they learned while on break. They will bring new styles and new skills.
RELATED REPORTS BY THE INQUISITR
Harry Styles, Liam Payne, Niall Horan and Louis Tomlinson are having a sort of scavenger hunt during their break. They are gathering connections, new musical styles, information, and skill. They are also experiencing life, learning from those experiences and gathering material for songs.
One Direction’s reunion will mean sharing everything they have learned, sorting out everything they gleaned from all their experiences and turning it into something musically viable. That may take even more time, but just think of the value of all their experiences will be when shared with the group.
- Louis Tomlinson had a son. He can now relate to how it feels to be a parent.
- Niall Horan traveled extensively, backpacking throughout East Asia. Niall went to boxing matches and played a lot of golf as well.
- Liam Payne fell in love and might be planning a family.
- Harry Styles met all his favorite rock icons and acted in a major motion picture. Another film may also be coming soon.
- Zayn Malik is currently making his second album and is co-producing a TV show.
All the One Direction members are making solo albums except Louis, and he may eventually create a solo effort as well. The experiences of 1D should strengthen their abilities substantially, both collectively and as individuals. Each member will bring unique experiences back to the group, and that will make them all better musicians and songwriters.
A One Direction reunion with Harry Styles, Liam Payne, Niall Horan, Louis Tomlinson and maybe even Zayn Malik is definitely coming, but not soon.
[Featured Image by Kevin Winter/Getty Images]