A brand-new season of Dancing with the Stars begins on Monday night, and the two-hour Season 23 premiere features a star-studded cast who will show off their dances moves to a fantastic lineup of songs on the September 12 premiere.
While you wait for ABC’s first DWTS live show of the season to begin on Monday (8 p.m. ET or 5 p.m. PDT in Los Angeles and San Francisco) here’s a preview of what you can expect to see including a complete list of songs and dance styles that the 13 celebrities and their pro dance partners have been working so hard to perfect over the past few weeks.
Before we get to the list of the Week 1 songs and dances, here is some helpful information for die-hard Dancing with the Stars fans including voting information, show-related social media links, and this season’s team names.
Voting: Don’t forget to vote on Monday nights, starting with premiere night on September 12. A previous report from the Inquisitr has a full list of the DWTS Season 23 voting phone numbers and the newly updated voting instructions for both phone-in and online voting.
Twitter and Team Names: Dancing with the Stars is always a top trend on Twitter during the live shows, so make sure you follow the official Dancing with the Stars Twitter account (@DancingABC) for the latest photos, videos, and updates about this season’s show.
Keep up with the latest chatter about your favorite DWTS couples on Twitter as well — find a complete list of the couples’ team names below.
— Ryan Lochte (@RyanLochte) September 2, 2016
Combine the hashtag symbol and team name to show your support when you tweet about the show or to search for photos and commentary about the contestants and their partners.
- Amber Rose and Maksim Chmerkovskiy – #TeamSpicySalsa
- Calvin Johnson Jr. and Lindsay Arnold – #TeamLindsatron
- Jake T. Austin and Jenna Johnson – #TeamJSquared
- James Hinchcliffe and Sharna Burgess –
- Jana Kramer and Gleb Savchenko –
- Kenny “Babyface” Edmonds and Allison Holker –
- Laurie Hernandez and Valentin Chmerkovskiy – #TeamValaur
- Marilu Henner and Derek Hough – #TeamHennergy
- Maureen McCormick and Artem Chigvintsev –
- Rick Perry and Emma Slater – #TeamDanceForOurVets
- Ryan Lochte and Cheryl Burke –
- Terra Jolé and Sasha Farber – #TeamXL
- Vanilla Ice and Witney Carson – #TeamIceNSpice
Week 1 Songs and Dance Styles: It won’t be long before fans start buzzing about popular theme weeks like Disney Week and the Switch-Up Week, but before that happens, the couples will focus on three classic dance styles.
According to Buddy TV, fans will see the 13 couples perform either the Foxtrot, Jive, Cha-Cha-Cha or a Viennese Waltz for their premiere night dances all set to songs that will appeal to viewers of all ages.
Here’s a list of the first round of dances and songs, courtesy of ABC. Keep in mind, everyone is safe this week. Eliminations won’t begin until Week 2 when Dancing with the Stars moves to a two-night time slot on Monday, September 19 and Tuesday, September 20.
- Jake T. Austin and Jenna Johnson – Jive – “Kiss You” by One Direction
- Kenny “Babyface” Edmonds and Allison Holker – Foxtrot – “Deed I Do” by Ray Charles
- Marilu Henner and Derek Hough – Jive – “Can’t Stop Dancing” by Becky G
- Laurie Hernandez and Valentin Chmerkovskiy – Cha Cha – “American Girl” by Bonnie McKee
- James Hinchcliffe and Sharna Burgess – Foxtrot – “Live Life” by Zayde Wølf
- Calvin Johnson Jr. and Lindsay Arnold – Cha Cha – “That’s What I Like” by Flo Rida feat. Fitz Lunchmoney
- Terra Jolé and Sasha Farber – Jive – “Stuff Like That There” by Betty Hutton
- Jana Kramer and Gleb Savchenko – Viennese Waltz – “Dangerous Woman” by Ariana Grande
- Ryan Lochte and Cheryl Burke – Foxtrot – “Call Me Irresponsible” by Michael Bublé
- Maureen McCormick and Artem Chigvintsev – Viennese Waltz – “You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman” by Mary J. Blige
Who will win the Dancing with the Stars Season 23 Mirrorball Trophy? Laurie Hernandez and Valentin Chmerkovskiy currently top oddsmaker Bovada‘s list, but a combination of judges’ scores and votes from fans could change the predictions as the season progresses.
season 23 hasn't even started and laurie + val are already one of my favorite partnerships of all time pic.twitter.com/krDJdQ0hjw
— #markballasisthegoat (@ballasholker) September 7, 2016
Watch the two-hour DWTS Season 23 premiere starting at 8 p.m. ET (5 p.m. PDT in L.A. and San Francisco) on September 12 on ABC.
— Official DWTS (@DancingABC) September 10, 2016
[Image via ABC Television Network]