The sequel to J.J. Abrams’ 2009 Star Trek is almost completely shrouded in mystery. Though it won’t see release until next year, Chris Pine reassures us that the film isn’t taking any dark and gritty cues from Christopher Nolan’s Batman franchise, and Zachary Quinto (Spock in the film) says that we should expect a much more epic experience in Trek 2.
“It was bigger,” Quinto said at TheWrap’s inaugural Short Film Festival on Tuesday night. “It was bolder, I think, than the first one, and that was pretty big and bold from my stand point.”
“I’m really excited to see what they do with it,” he added.
Here’s what we know about the Star Trek sequel so far: It releases next year, the cast of the 2009 film reprise their roles, the film doesn’t yet have a proper title, and Benedict Cumberbatch plays the villain (though we don’t know his name). Quinto continued the Abrams-tradition of keeping plot points close to the chest, but he did say that his part in the film is complete:
“I feel like, you know, my work is done on the movie right now and until we have to go and promote it, then my work remains done and I let J.J. and his incredible team of people get in there and do the work that they need to do now,” Quinto said.
Reflecting on his experience on the set of the Trek sequel, Quinto said: “I feel very fulfilled, but I don’t feel particularly attached to what the outcome of that project will be because I have faith in the people that I was collaborating with to make it as good as it can be.”
Here’s video of Zachary Quinto talking Star Trek 2: