It is Sunday, May 1, and that means new movies and shows arriving on streaming services like Netflix and Hulu.
There is a long list of new shows coming to Netflix, including Season 2 of Grace and Frankie. The show about two women left single after their husbands come out of the closet stars four of Hollywood’s biggest names — Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, Martin Sheen, and Sam Waterston. Many readers may recall that Fonda and Waterston were recently co-stars of HBO‘s The Newsroom, while Tomlin and Sheen were co-stars on the later years of NBC political drama The West Wing.
In the Season 1 finale of Grace and Frankie, Waterston and Tomlin’s characters had an expected spark of chemistry that led to an intimate encounter, possibly throwing a wrench into Waterston and Sheen’s characters’ upcoming marriage ceremony. Season 2 of Grace and Frankie will be new to Netflix on May 6, according to a trailer for the show on YouTube.
Grace and Frankie is not the only show new to Netflix in May. The Inquisitr previously reported on the new season of Chef’s Table, and noted the new movies coming to Netflix in May.
“As far as movies are concerned, the biggest additions coming to Netflix next month include the classic 1984 teen comedy, Sixteen Candles, 2000’s Bring It On starring Kirsten Dunst and Eliza Dushku, 1998’s Pleasantville starring Tobey Maguire and Reese Witherspoon, Alfred Hitchcock’s 1955 classic, To Catch a Thief, and the 2005 Ryan Reynolds comedy, Just Friends.”
While the shows and movies new to Netflix are exciting, there are several new arrivals at Hulu, as well. According to Vulture, one of the movies new to Hulu is the 1980 cult classic Airplane!
“Take a trip to the skies, where everyone takes things literally, there’s a guitar-playing nun for some reason, and the food is poisoned,” Vulture says of this flick new to Hulu. “Wait, that makes things sound bad. Please be advised: This movie is hilarious — which is why one of its gags made our list of the 100 Jokes That Shaped Modern Comedy.”
It is not just Airplane! new to Hulu this month. The site notes that Selfie Season 1 will also be landing on the streaming service Sunday (May 1).
“ABC’s My Fair Lady with social media deserved longer than the one season it got on TV, even though it spent most of that season trying to Houdini out of its overstuffed premise. John Cho is the uptight boss trying to get the social media-obsessed Karen Gillan to confront the real world. Their chemistry is the highlight of the show — well, that and the time Gillan got to sing ‘Chandelier.’ Available May 1.”
A list of other additions new to Netflix (per the Inquisitr) and Hulu (per Vulture) are as follows.
New To Netflix In May
- The Nutty Professor (1996)
- Off the Map (2013)
- Palm Trees in the Snow (2015)
- Shark Lake(2015)
- She’s Beautiful When She’s Angry (2014)
- Sixteen Candles (1984)
- Sugar Coated (2015)
- Terra (2015)
- Things We Lost in the Fire (2007)
- To Catch a Thief (1955)
- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: Runnin’ Down a Dream (2007)
- Who’s Driving Doug (2016)
New To Hulu In May
- Selfie(Complete Season 1)
- Drop Dead Diva (Complete Seasons 1–6)
- Banana (Complete Season 1) (BBC)
- Being Erica (Complete Seasons 1–4) (BBC)
- Bluestone 42 (Complete Season 3) (BBC)
- Cucumber (Complete Season 1) (BBC)
- DCI Banks (Complete Seasons 1–3) (BBC)
- Dead Boss (Complete Season 1) (BBC)
- Him & Her (Complete Seasons 1-4) (BBC)
- Horrible Histories (Complete Seasons 5–6) (BBC)
- In the Flesh (Complete Seasons 1–2) (BBC)
- Jane Eyre (Complete Miniseries) (2006) (BBC)
- Top Gear USA (Complete Season 4) (BBC)
- Uncle (Complete Seasons 1–2) (BBC)
- Up the Women (Complete Seasons 1–2) (BBC)
Are you excited about any of the titles new to Netflix and Hulu on Sunday or later this month? Tell us in the comments section below.
[Photo by Ari Perilstein/Getty Images for Tiny Prints]