NFL rumors are swirling that the San Diego Chargers are looking to trade their No. 3 pick in the 2016 NFL Draft on Thursday, according to multiple reports.
A local NBC affiliate confirmed that San Diego Chargers General Manager Tom Telesco is listening to other teams concerning their selection in the upcoming draft. Telesco said that he is keeping his options open when it comes to how the team will handle this process, but the team has received quite a bit of interest from other NFL franchises.
“Since Wednesday afternoon our phones have not been as busy as they have been the last couple of weeks. The option is still there.”
What Did GM Tom Telesco Reveal about Chargers' Draft Plans?
— San Diego Chargers (@Chargers) April 22, 2016
The flurry of activity started after the Los Angeles Rams and Philadelphia Eagles traded into No. 1 and No. 2 spots, respectively, for the upcoming draft. NFL rumors suggests these franchises did so to take quarterbacks Carson Wentz and Jared Goff in a yet-to-be-determined order, according to the New York Post.
That leaves the San Diego Chargers is great shape. The team will have its pick of players not named Goff or Wentz — according to the rumors — meaning that any number of potential franchise athletes will still be on the board when the San Diego Chargers are on the NFL Draft clock.
That’s exactly why the interest in the Chargers’ pick now exists. San Diego could command a hefty sum for moving down in the draft order, or the team could select a player it deems worthy of the selection. Chargers GM Tom Telesco is not publicly leaning one way or the other, the San Diego executive said.
“We still have six days to go and we feel like we’re in a very good spot. Obviously there’s going to be a great player there for us to take. If there’s a trade there that makes sense for us we can move back and acquire some picks either this year or next year or both, that would be a great option, too.”
Potential partners in a trade with the San Diego Chargers include the New York Jets and the San Francisco 49ers. The common denominator between these two teams is the uncertainty entering the season at the quarterback position. The Jets have yet to sign last year’s starter, Ryan Fitzpatrick, to a new deal, and NFL rumors have suggested that the 49ers are actively shopping quarterback Colin Kaepernick.
Ian Rapoport from NFL.com suggested both New York and San Francisco could be in discussions with the San Diego Chargers in a tweet this week. San Francisco currently sits at No. 7 in this year’s draft, and the Jets are further back at the No. 20 pick. Perhaps either New York or San Francisco see a potential quarterback that they cannot pass up at the No. 3 position, leading to the team pulling the trigger on a trade with the San Diego Chargers.
Should the San Diego Chargers choose to make the No. 3 selection, multiple rumors have swirled about which player the NFL franchise would select. Bleacher Report noted that the Chargers could look to the defensive side of the ball, selecting either Ohio State linebacker Joey Bosa or Florida State cornerback Jalen Ramsey. Another report points that San Diego could be looking at nearby UCLA linebacker Jack Myles, too.
— Sports Illustrated (@SInow) April 21, 2016
While some San Diego fans may want to have a back-up to Philip Rivers selected this draft, no obvious first-round choices would exist after Jared Goff and Carson Wentz. NFL rumors are suggesting that the Chargers will go after Ohio State product Cardale Jones in one of the later rounds, the Inquisitr reported on Sunday.
Do you think the San Diego Chargers will trade away their No. 3 selection in the NFL Draft as some NFL rumors have suggested? Leave your thoughts in the comment section below.
[Photo by Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images]