Star Wars The Force Awakens Crosses $2 Billion Mark While Production Begins On Episode VIII

Star Wars The Force Awakens Crosses $2 Billion Mark While Production Begins On Episode VIII

Star Wars: The Force Awakens passed the $2 billion mark at the box office worldwide, making it the third highest grossing movie of all time behind Titanic and Avatar. Since opening in December 2015, The Force Awakens has set multiple box office achievements, including the biggest domestic opening day of all time, the biggest domestic and global opening weekend of all time and the fastest film to ever earn $1 billion.

Entertainment Weekly reported that Disney Chairman Alan Horn said in a statement that it was a historic moment for all those involved.

“This is a historic moment for Star Wars, for Lucasfilm, and for Disney, and all of us here are extremely gratified to be a part of this journey with fans around the world who have made Star Wars: The Force Awakens such an extraordinary success. The film’s achievements are truly astounding, and it’s our great honor to relaunch this cinematic galaxy not only for all the devoted decades-long fans but for a new generation who will keep the Star Wars legacy alive for many years to come. “

The next installment, Episode VIII, is set for release on December 17, 2017. The next Star Wars movie to be released will be Rogue One, and Episode VIII has already gone into production.

As previously reported in Inquisitr, there are many rumors surrounding the release of Star Wars Episode VIII. One of the most intriguing rumors is the return of Hayden Christensen to reprise his role as Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker. Disney hasn’t commented on the rumors to say whether or not Hayden Christensen will return, and if he does, in what capacity. There are rumors that a Darth Vader suit has already been produced for the new episode.

Cinema Blend reported that there were some scenes from Star Wars: The Force Awakens that didn’t make the cut, and two characters didn’t get the screen time that was originally planned. Originally additional scenes had been planned for both Captain Phasma and Unkar Plutt.

With Game of Thrones star Gwendoline Christie portraying Captain Phasma, many fans were let down by the fact that she didn’t have more scenes in the movie. One of the scenes that was cut from the movie that provided some fun was Phasma ordering ships into the air after she had been tossed down the garbage chute by Han and Finn. In Star Wars Episode VIII it has been rumored that director Rian Johnson has a larger part planned for Captain Phasma.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens movie editor Maryann Brandon, who frequently collaborates with director J. J. Abrams, said that junk dealer Unkar Plutt also had a bigger part.

There is a scene in the cantina, or our version of it, the Maz castle, where Rey, once she separates from Finn and wanders off, and Unkar Plutt is there, because he’s been tracking her because she stole the Falcon from him. And they have a confrontation and Chewie comes in and rips his arm off.

Brandon went on to say that the scene with Chewbacca ripping off Plutt’s arm was ultimately cut from the film because it was necessary to show Rey coming to the decision on her own to not return to Jakka, her home planet. Although the scene might have added some comic relief, it didn’t fit with the emotion of the scene. The editors of Star Wars: The Force Awakens Mary Jo Markey and Maryann Brandon have both been nominated for Oscars for their work on the film.

[Photo by David McNew/Getty Images]

Comments