In the early morning hours of Saturday, January 30, 2016, the Fort Worth, Texas Police Department was called over an alleged altercation between NFL quarterback, Johhny Manziel, and his ex-girlfriend, according to NBC5. Following the call, authorities launched a full scale search for Manziel in order to question the football star, using their Air Unit One helicopter for the quest, reports Deadspin.
Deadspin also noted that this was the second time Manziel and his girlfriend were involved in this type of incident. In October, 2015, police in Avon, Ohio were alerted after several witnesses claimed they saw the couple fighting in a vehicle. Manziel was not charged with a crime in the Avon matter, but told police he had been drinking earlier in the day.
NBC5 stated that Fort Worth police corporal Tracey Knight released a statement indicating Manziel was not arrested, explaining when law enforcement arrived at a local apartment building at around 2 a.m., they encountered a 23 year old female who told them she was “involved in a disturbance with her ex-boyfriend… earlier in Dallas.”
The young woman, who USA Today reports was for the most part uncooperative, also told police that she was concerned about Manziel’s well-being, so “officers attempted to locate him… It was later determined by officers that the ex-boyfriend was safe and in no danger…” Knight continued, according to NBC5.
Although neither the statement nor the police report mention Manziel’s girlfriend by name, TMZ revealed that the athlete and his longtime love interest, Colleen Crowley, split just weeks ago and each has deleted information about the other on social media. So, as TMZ reports, even though Crowley is not named, “her age and information sync up” as likely being the ex-girlfriend that was involved in the recent Manziel incident.
The Dallas Police Department informed NBC5 that Fort Worth police have notified it of “a possible offense that may have occurred within Dallas city limits.”
Over the past few weeks, Manziel had been spotted out and about in Dallas, partying at several clubs, including Trees in Deep Ellum. According to NBC5, on January 20, Manziel was there with fellow jocks Mets pitcher Noah Syndergaard, Mavericks forward Chandler Parsons, and Stars center Tyler Seguin to see Mike Stud perform.
The NFL was informed of the recent incident and the organization’s spokesperson, Greg Aiello, told USA Today that the matter was being looked into.
In 2014, Manziel was the No. 22 draft pick and spent over two months in a rehabilitation center specializing in drug and alcohol treatment last year, according to USA Today. The media outlet also reports that in 2015, the night before missing the final game of the season due to a concussion, the football player was seen in a Las Vegas casino.
Twitter was rife with comments regarding Manziel and Saturday’s incident with some users criticizing the quarterback for excess partying, while others asserted the Browns should cut ties with the 23 year old NFL player, stating, “…He needs to know what rock bottom feels like.”
I think Jonny Manziel should just have one post on all his social media accounts: “Sorry for partying! ????????????????” #Manziel
— Ben Parker (@rileyrichter) January 31, 2016
— Eric Katz (@Sportsteamnews) January 31, 2016
According to ESPN, Manziel was passed up by Cowboys head Jerry Jones two years ago, who instead decided on Zack Martin. The website also reports that only two days ago, Browns owner Jimmy Haslam stated he believed the relationship the team has with Manziel can be fixed.
Although Manziel was not arrested in this most recent matter, this was not the first time the athlete has faced issues with law enforcement, so his future with the Browns and new coach Hue Jackson may be at issue, USA Today reports. In fact, a source told ESPN that Jackson said he wanted to “move on from Manziel” even before Saturday’s incident, so the athlete’s future may truly be in question.
[Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images]