Star Wars Alum Harrison Ford Introduces New Disney Park As The Force Awakens Won't Top Avatar After All

‘Star Wars’ Alum Harrison Ford Introduces New Disney Park As ‘The Force Awakens’ Won’t Top Avatar After All

Star Wars alum Harrison Ford will be giving fans a sneak into the new Star Wars lands in February during a special to be broadcast on ABC. The new lands are being constructed as part of new attractions at Disneyland and Walt Disney World.

As reported in the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Disney CEO Bob Iger said it was the largest theme park expansion for Disney ever.

“We are creating a jaw-dropping new world that represents our largest single-themed land expansion ever. These new lands at Disneyland and Walt Disney World will transport guests to a whole new ‘Star Wars’ planet.”

The two-hour Star Wars special, which airs on February 21, is a star-studded event to celebrate the diamond anniversary of Disney. It is called “The Wonderful World of Disney: Disneyland 60”.

Derek Hough, alum of Dancing With The Stars, will act as the master of ceremonies along with his co-star Witney Carson. The London Philharmonic Orchestra will perform The Sorcerer’s Apprentice from Fantasia. Other guest appearances include Elton John performing his Oscar-nominated song “Circle of Life” from the Disney hit movie The Lion King.

As previously reported in Inquisitr, Disney was criticized by some fans who said that the latest Star Wars movie The Force Awakens was a ripoff. Director J. J. Abrams defended the movie against fan charges. Abrams will not be directing the next movie although he will act as executive producer. He gave his stamp of approval for the script for the next Star Wars script installment, and said that fans will appreciate director and script writer Rian Johnson’s efforts on the next installment.

The BBC reported that there will be new Star Wars films coming in addition to the ones fans already know about. Rogue One is set to appear in December 2016 while Star Wars Episode VIII will premier in December 2017. A Han Solo movie will appear in 2018 while Episode IX of the Star Wars saga will appear at the end of 2019.

Chairman Bob Iger told Newsbeat that there were five films in all.

“There are five Star Wars films – four more with Episode VII: The Force Awakens – that are in varying stages of development and production. “There will be more after that, I don’t know how many, I don’t know how often.”

Endgadget reported that Disney COO Tom Staggs unveiled more information about the new Star Wars lands that will appear at Disney World and Disneyland. He revealed that these would be the most immersive lands that Disney has ever built when he released a PDF at an entertainment conference in 2015.

Although Star Wars actor Harrison Ford will be giving fans an exclusive preview of the attractions in the upcoming television special, it is unclear as to whether or not he will appear as part of the attractions. He will share the new details of the new attractions in the upcoming special though.

One of the Star Wars attractions that fans will be able to engage in when they visit either Disney World or Disneyland is that they will get to fly a Millennium Falcon. The Millennium Falcon is the ship that belonged to Han Solo and is featured in the original Star Wars trilogy as well as The Force Awakens. Disney has yet to reveal if there will be any other Star Wars vehicles for fans to interact with nor is it clear what form the new attractions will take and what Star Wars characters will appear. Fans will have to wait until the two-hour special appears on ABC on February 21 from 8 to 10 p.m. EST.

The Star Tribune reported that Star Wars: The Force Awakens will not overtake Avatar after all as the world’s biggest film. So far Star Wars: The Force Awakens has grossed $1.95 billion worldwide, while Avatar grossed $2.8 billion in 2009.

[Brendon Thorne/Getty Images]

Comments