Buffalo Bills fans celebrate  during the team's season finale against the New York Jets.

Buffalo Bills Fan Accidentally Sets Himself On Fire, Is Saved By Other Tailgaters

A Buffalo Bills fan is making headlines for the wrong reason: inadvertently setting himself on fire during a tailgating event gone wrong.

The unnamed Bills fan who set himself on fire – and whose accidental near-incineration has been captured in a viral video – no doubt had a bit too much to drink prior to his team’s regular season finale against the New York Jets on Sunday, January 3. This Bills fan is now immortalized for jumping on a fiery table – with his pants and jacket quickly catching fire – in the parking lot of Ralph Wilson stadium, which the Bills call home, reported The UK Daily Mail.

Amidst cries of “Oh my God” and “He’s on fire,” the unaware Bills fan – who actually fanned the flames by running around and celebrating with other tailgaters – was seemingly only saved from the growing fire on his body because onlookers had ready access to beer and were able to douse him in several cold, frosty drinks prior to pushing him up against a Buffalo Bills tailgate bus to suffocate the remaining flames. Fortunately for the fan, he seemed to be unharmed.

Unfortunately for the Buffalo Bills, as noted by Daily Mail, unruly tailgates by its fans at home events have become totally commonplace, with incidents including “fighting, stopping traffic by mooning cars and having sex in the parking lot.” As Daily Mail also noted, Bills fans’ usual “routine” also includes “jumping on plastic tables” seemingly for the sole purpose of breaking them.

Traditional college tailgaters enjoy pre-game beverages. In Buffalo, where Bills fans have developed a difficult reputation, one fan in particular found himself on fire while tailgating.
Traditional college tailgaters enjoy pre-game beverages. In Buffalo, where Bills fans have developed a difficult reputation, one fan in particular found himself on fire while tailgating. (Getty Images)

According to Kelly McLaughlin of Daily Mail,“Across the tailgate, another fan was filmed trying to break a table by back-flipping off of a truck bead onto [a] table. Instead, he doesn’t make it fully around in the flip, hits his face on the table and lands on the cement.”

“Another fan was filmed using a plastic table, McLauglin continued. “As a sled in upstate New York’s wintry weather.”

The 2015 season, meanwhile, got so bad for Bills’ fans – which are frequently referred to on social media as #BillsMafia – that Deadspin posted a compilation of bad Bills’ moments from the year.

According to Deadspin’s post, “All good things must come to an end… the Buffalo Bills are playing their last home game of the season today. It was a hell of a run, featuring barfing, furniture wrestling, butts, and doin’ it in the parking lot…. We had a good run, Bills fans.”

The unreal news also follows the 2013 near-death experience of Rob Hopkins, a Bills fan who plummeted 30 feet from the upper level of Ralph Wilson Stadium. According to Daily Mail, Hopkins was fired from his employer after attempting to slide down a railing on the 300 level of the stadium, then dropping backward onto an unsuspecting fan below him.

In terms of actual implications for the game and the team in 2015, the Buffalo Bills defeated the New York Jets 22-17 to eliminate their division rivals from playoff competition. At the same time, this allowed the franchise to end its season with an even 8-8 record. Unfortunately for the fan-base that Total Sports identified as having the most drunk fans in the NFL, the team has failed to make the league post-season every year since 1999.

The Buffalo Bills defeated The New York Jets 22-17 in the teams' final game of the season. Before the game, tailgaters took it to the extreme with a raucous display that included one fan inadvertantly setting himself on fire. (Getty Images)
The Buffalo Bills defeated The New York Jets 22-17 in the teams’ final game of the season. Before the game, tailgaters took it to the extreme with a raucous display that included one fan inadvertantly setting himself on fire. (Getty Images)

[Image by Brett Carlson/Getty Images]

Comments