Charlie Hunnam, most notably of Sons of Anarchy fame, has many secrets that most fans simply don’t know about. Hunnam truly is an enigma of the most incredible sort. Here are 10 of the most bizarre facts about this awesome celebrity.
1. According to PopSugar, Charlie Hunnam keeps an actual machete in his home office. Apparently, Hunnam is quite the wild man and has even used the machete to stop an intruder who broke into his house.
“I pinned him to the ground and said, ‘Dude, I’m not going to f*** you up this time, but if you ever come near here again, literally, they’ll never find your body — I’ll cut you in so many pieces.'”
2. Charlie Hunnam was drunk when he got his big break. It was Christmas Eve and he was drunk when a talent scout approached him. He then appeared on Byker Grove and Queer as Folk.
3. Charlie Hunnam told GQ that he is completely obsessed with sneakers, particularly Nike Air Max 90 shoes. Apparently, he has scaled back his collection at the time of his interview.
“I’m actually scaling back the collection. I went through them and said ‘this is ridiculous.’ So I gave some pairs to charity, and just kept the pairs I absolutely couldn’t part with. So I’ve scaled it down to probably… 45 pairs now.”
— Concave (@concavebt) November 11, 2014
4. Hunnam really wanted the part of Christian Grey in Fifty Shades of Grey, but he knew it was too much to switch roles from Sons of Anarchy to the movie in such a short period of time.
“I was going to finish playing a psychopath who’d just lost his wife [in Sons of Anarchy], and five days later I’d be on set playing Christian Grey. I was like, ‘This is going to be a f***ing disaster.’ It was the opposite of how I’ve tried to ground my career, not stretch myself too thin, and always do my homework.”
5. Charlie Hunnam does not want to do more comedy in his career.
“That’s a whole different skillset that I neither enjoy nor feel compelled to do more of. Because I’ve worked with comedy people, and those mother***ers are seriously funny. You step in with the Seth Rogens of the world, you better have some jokes.”
6. Hunnam is so concerned about where his food comes from that he would bring his own eggs to the Sons of Anarchy set and have the chef prepare them for him.
“They’re like, ‘Why are you bringing your own eggs?’ I’m like, ‘Cause your eggs are from Monsanto. Mine are from a farm down the road.'”
— Kelsey Rutherford (@kjruther) June 5, 2014
7. Charlie Hunnan describes Kurt Sutter as his “Hollywood dad” and Sutter agrees.
“He’s kind of my Hollywood dad. And I’m kind of like the son he never had. That’s the depth of our relationship. I feel like it’s reached that significance. We just truly love and respect each other.”
— Lorie Surface (@loriejsurface) December 12, 2015
8. Hunnam has taken clothes from movie sets and the Sons of Anarchy set.
“I seem to have developed a really big wardrobe recently, but that’s more because I’ve been stealing clothes off of movie sets and off of Sons.”
9. Booms Beat reports that Charlie Hunnam told USA Today he could relate to his Sons of Anarchy character Jax Teller because of how he grew up.
“My dad’s a real hard guy. He made money outside of the law. So I was very aware of the outlaw mentality. He was very kind of feared and respected and also loved in equal parts. I mean, he was really a kind of serious guy when he was younger.”
10. Charlie Hunnam initially planned to be a writer/director and attended Cumbria College of Art and Design with that goal in mind.
[Photo by Helga Esteb/Shutterstock]