Despite Rape Charges And Vandalism, Bill Cosby's Star To Remain On Walk Of Fame

Despite Rape Charges And Vandalism, Bill Cosby’s Star To Remain On Walk Of Fame

Entertainer Bill Cosby was arrested and charged on Wednesday for a sexual assault prosecutors allege occurred in 2004. The assault is one of many such allegations to surface against the 78-year-old entertainer, and the first one for which he’s been criminally charged.

With so many heinous allegations pending, there has been some pressure on the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce to remove Bill Cosby’s star from the famed Hollywood Walk of Fame. The Inquisitr reported on the site being vandalized after the allegations first came out against Cosby, and it seems the Chamber of Commerce hasn’t changed their mind since this summer. The answer is still no, the star will not be removed.

Speaking to Leron Gubler, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce president and CEO, the Philadelphia Inquirer was informed that the star would stay, no matter the outcome of the trial.

“Once a star has been added to the walk, it is considered a part of the historic fabric of the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Because of this we have never removed a star from the Walk,” Gubler said.

This has been the position held by the Chamber of Commerce since the beginning of the Hollywood Walk of Fame. A former chairman of the Chamber of Commerce echoed Gubler’s sentiments in the past.

“Stars are awarded for professional achievement to the world of entertainment and contributions to the community. A celebrity’s politics, philosophy, irrational behavior, outrageous remarks or anything like that have never been cause to remove a Walk of Fame star,” said Johnny Grant, former Chairman and CEO of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce.

The details of the accusations facing Cosby are disturbing, and disturbingly similar. Around 50 women have come forward so far, describing how Cosby allegedly used drugs to sedate them into helplessness before sexually assaulting them. Cosby denies any wrongdoing, and his supporters have maintained that the entertainer has never faced criminal charges for the alleged assaults.

Cosby, on Wednesday, was charged with three felony counts of aggravated indecent assault, related to an incident in 2004 – which Cosby claims was consensual. The criminal complaint alleges that Cosby drugged Andrea Constand and penetrated her without her consent.

Despite Cosby’s adamant denial that the event occurred the way it is described in the criminal complaint, CNN reports that the prosecutor in the case has a 98 percent conviction rate.

“This is a prosecutor that clearly has identified cases and only brings cases in which he can win. If you’re on the side of being charged by this prosecutor, that’s going to be some cause for concern,” said Joseph Cammarata, a lawyer representing seven of the 50-plus women who have come out against Cosby with similar complaints of sexual indecency.

The criminal charges against Cosby aren’t the only legal difficulties faced by the entertainer; many of the women who have come forward allege that they were attacked as far back as 1974, which for most states is outside the statute of limitations for criminal charges. Nevertheless, some of his accusers are suing him in civil court. One, Judith Huth, alleges that Cosby got drunk and sexually assaulted her after taking her to the Playboy Mansion in 1974, when she was only 16-years-old.

Even if Cosby is found guilty, it’s unlikely his star will be removed from the Walk of Fame. According to USA Today, the only time stars are removed from the Walk of Fame is when they’re in need of repair or replacement.

But as Inquisitr reported, Cosby’s star has become a frequent target for vandalism, which over time might end up causing the star to be removed – but only to get repaired, replaced, and put right back where it was.

Tell us what you think, should Cosby’s star be removed?

[Photo by William Thomas Cain/Getty Images]