Iran: We Detected Massive Western Cyber Attack Against Our Nuclear Facilities
Iranian state-run television is reporting that the government has detected a planned “massive cyber attack” against its nuclear facilities. The reports came out Tuesday after talks this week between Tehran and the West seem to be going no where.
According to the report, Iran’s Intelligence Minister Heydar Moslehi told the nation that the attack was planned by the United States and Israel and they were being aided by Great Britain.
Moslehi was quoted by Iran’s English language Press TV saying,
“Based on obtained information, America and the Zionist regime (Israel) along with the MI6 planned an operation to launch a massive cyber attack against Iran’s facilities following the meeting between Iran and the P5+1 in Moscow. They still seek to carry out the plan, but we have taken necessary measures,”
The report comes after a series of “super virus” bugs have been detected in Iran. The Stuxnet Virus and subsequent Duqu Virus were both designed to steal information and cripple the workings of Iran’s nuclear equipment. Recently, security experts have found the super massive virus “Flame” in Iran which has been dubbed the largest cyber weapon detected to date.
Iran has been at odds for years with the West over its nuclear program. The West says that Iran is producing fuel to be used in nuclear bombs while Iran says it is producing electricity and medical isotopes.
Earlier this month, U.S. officials have admitted that the Stuxnet Virus was built by U.S. experts under George W. Bush in order to be able to attack Iran without using the military, as military intervention was highly unpopular at the time. The program was accelerated under President Obama.
It is unclear if Israel actually played a role in any of the viral attacks against Iran.