Kurt Sutter Reveals Reasons For Cancelling His Own Show ‘The Bastard Executioner’

Kurt Sutter has cancelled his show The Bastard Executioner after only being on the air for one season – and getting low ratings. The season wrapped up on Tuesday and not only did Sutter cancel his own show – an oddity in and of itself – he did it in a way that only Kurt Sutter could. Sutter took out an ad in The Hollywood Reporter to announce the cancellation.

“It’s fantastic to get a good review [or] an award, but at the end of the day the only thing that matters, really, is numbers. I’m not the guy sitting in my ivory tower spitting sh*t out and not caring if anyone is watching… I don’t want to write something that nobody’s f***ing watching.”

E! reports that Kurt Sutter explained why he thinks the show was not a success.

“I think the mythology was a little too dense for some people. There’s a glut of period pieces on right now, and I’m sure timing has something to do it. There’s just so many f***ing variables involved in that formula. My sense is that a year from now, people will be like, ‘Why didn’t you make more?’ I mean, I get so many people telling me they’re on episode four of Sons.”

The Rolling Stone also reported that in the ad Kurt Sutter took out, he said the audience has spoken in terms of ratings.

“The audience has spoken and unfortunately the word is ‘meh.’ So with due respect, we bring our mythology to an epic and fiery close.”

Sutter even posted to Instagram to give his thanks to his cast and crew for their talent and commitment.

The promo trailer for the final show can be seen here.

Kurt Sutter told Deadlinewhy he took out the ad.

“I wanted that ad because I just loved this cast and crew. I’ve never worked with a higher caliber of talent from top to bottom. I love my Sons cast and the people I work with here, but UK actors just have a different approach to the work and are not caught up in the machine of Hollywood. Here, people get caught up in the awareness of ratings, and reviews and what everybody thinks, and am I going to have a job. Out there, there is more of a journeyman approach to acting.”

So what’s next for Kurt Sutter? According to his interview with Deadline, he is moving on to the spinoff of Sons of Anarchy and looking to hire a Latino showrunner to get it off the ground.

“The network is very hot on the Mayans project, and I won’t run that show. For me, this is about finding the right writer and the next thing I will be doing is sitting down and interviewing to find a Latino writer, someone who understands the world and the culture. I don’t want to just throw some white guy at it.”

Kurt Sutter is also in discussions with Brian Oliver about directing his feature Delivering Gen.

“Brian and I have a rich history with that project, and when Propaganda broke up, he mortgaged his house and used his own money to buy Delivering Gen out of Chapter 11 and since then it’s been about finding the time.”

There is no doubt that Kurt Sutter will be kept busy and that whatever he creates will be loved by many, particularly when his Sons of Anarchy spinoff comes into being. Fans are waiting with baited breath for what comes next!

[Photo by Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images]

Comments