Healthiest Meal Ever: Scientists Create The Perfect Menu
After years of painstaking research, a group of health scientists have come up with the healthiest meal ever.
CTV reports that the European Commission recently released a list of approved health claims. The European Food Safety Authority spent more than five years scouring over 4000 health food claims to compile a list that was backed by scientific fact. In the end, the list, which was released in May, contained 220 health food claims.
When Dr. Paul Berryman, the CEO of the independent British-based Leatherhead Food Research, saw the list he proposed a challenge to his team: create the world’s healthiest meal.
“I had spent 3 days talking about health claims and at a round table event I suggested that Leatherhead could make a product with all 222 claims, no problem! It wasn’t that simple, but we did it within one week.”
The meal includes fresh smoked salmon terrine (good for the arteries, heart, and the brain), a mixed leaf side salad with extra virgin olive oil (good for maintaining normal cholesterol levels), a chicken casserole with lentils and vegetables (good for vitamin absorption and building muscle) and a yogurt blancmange pudding dessert with walnuts and sugar-free caramel sauce (good for your teeth and blood glucose levels).
To drink, the researchers suggest a cranberry, raspberry and elderflower flavored sports drink.
Here’s the menu from Leatherhead Foods.
- Fresh and Smoked Salmon Terrine – with ALA and DHA for brain and heart function
- Mixed Leaf Side Salad with Extra Virgin Olive Oil Dressing – for cholesterol claims
- High Fibre Multigrain Bread Roll – for 17 claims around fibre, folate and arabinoxylan
- Chicken Casserole with Lentils & Vegetables – for iron absorption, vitamins and minerals
- Live Yoghurt Blancmange – for cholesterol, gut health and blood glucose control
- Cranberry, Raspberry & Elderflower Sports Drink – for energy, vitamins and electrolytes
- Pure Spring Water – to offset dehydration
The meal was designed as an airline dinner. No word on how much the world’s healthiest meal would cost, or if it will ever actually find its way onto an airplane.