If you follow Dwayne Johnson on any of his social media accounts, or just plain follow the news, then you will know that he recently adopted two adorable French bulldog puppies named Brutus and Hobbs. Unfortunately, Johnson took to his Instagram today to share that news that last night Brutus died after eating a poisonous mushroom in their backyard.
Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed. At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and @laurenhashianofficial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus' suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil' paw as he was finally at peace. As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs. This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return. I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil' family members. Thank you Dr. Deckelbaum and Dr. West and the incredibly caring nurses and staff at The Animal Medical Center At Cooper City. We'll always love you Brutus.. and you'll always be my lil' main man and rough housing Brute. #RIPBrutus #WICHSYOMT
Dwayne paid tribute to the dog in his post.
“Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed. At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and @laurenhashianofficaial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus’s suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heave. I held his lil’ paw as he was finally at peace. As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushrooms while playing outside with his brother Hobbs. This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return. I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks, or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent can be deadly to you lil’ family member. Thank you Dr. Deckelbaum and Dr. West and the incredibly caring nurses and staff at The Animal Medical Center At Cooper City We’ll always love you Brutus..and you’ll always be my lil’ main man and rough housing Brute.”
Mushrooms can be poisonous to almost any pet, and according to Vetstreet, it is hard to identify what mushroom could possibly be hazardous to your pet. Mushrooms can contain more than one poisonous substance, and overall health and underlying medical conditions can determine the fate of an animal after eating the mushroom.
From the moment Dwayne Johnson got his two adorable puppies, he has not shied away from sharing every awesome moment with his 28.2 million Instagram followers. Just recently, he posted a video of himself attempting to walk Brutus, who would not move at all.
The Rock liked to continually tell his pets how busy of schedule he has and how their uncooperative manners only make it harder on him. Johnson later posted a video, similar to the one with Brutus, while he attempted to walk Hobbs who also did not feel like walking at that moment in time.
Dwayne Johnson and his pups first made headlines during Labor Day weekend, when Johnson posted an image of himself with the two puppies in the pool. In the Instagram post, he tells his fans how once he brought the two newest members of his family home, they decided to make a beeline for the pool. Luckily, Hobbs was able to swim, but his brother had a little more of an issue, but The Rock was there to rescue the drowning Brutus. He jokes that Brutus name was changed to brick, since he sunk like one, but both dogs were okay after the ordeal thanks to good ol’ dad jumping in to save them.
Here's a fun Labor Day weekend story… We just decided to add two new members to our Johnson family. Baby French Bulldogs. In my right hand is BRUTUS and in my left hand is HOBBS. Bring them home and immediately take them outside so they can start learning how to "handle their business and potty like big boys". I set them both down and they both take off in a full sprint and fall right into the deep end of our pool. HOBBS immediately starts doggy paddling while BRUTUS (like a brick) sink heads first to the bottom of the pool. I take off into a full sprint, fully clothed, dive in the pool, swim to the bottom, rescue my brick, I mean BRUTUS and bring him back to the edge of the pool. He was a little delirious.. took a moment, threw up all the water he swallowed and looked up at me as if to say, "Thank God you didn't have to give me mouth to mouth!" and then ran off to play with his brother. A few lessons I've learned today.. A) Not all puppies have the instinct to doggie paddle. B) Some puppies (like BRUTUS) will be so in shock by experiencing water they will sink extremely fast so react quick. C) While spiriting to save your puppies life, before you dive in, try and throw your cel phone to safety. Don't keep it in your pocket… like I did. #BRUTUSLives #HOBBSCanSwim #MyCelPhonesDead #AndNoMouthToMouthNeeded #HappyLaborDay
This also was not the first time Brutus was sent to the vet. After getting Brutus, Johnson had to rush the little dog to the hospital for excessive vomiting and diarrhea. The vet cleared Brutus, and Johnson posted an Instagram photo letting his fans know that Brutus was alright and was back to wrestling with him and peeing on his Jordans.
Johnson urges pet owners to be aware of the dangers of mushrooms and other poisonous plants in their backyards. Hopefully, Hobbs will be okay without his Brutus.
[Image by Frazer Harrison/ Getty Images]