Hawaii’s Hanalei Bay is the best beach in America, according to a new list released by a guy who calls himself “Dr. Beach.”
Stephen P. Leatherman (oddly fitting last name for a dude who spends his days basking in the sun) published his annual “America’s Best Beaches” list this week. Leatherman — er, sorry, Dr. Beach — says he looked at dozens of different factors in making his selections. Everything from water quality to temperature and cleanliness to safety, he says, came into play.
Hanalei Bay Beyond
While Hanalei Bay, Hawaii takes the honor of best beach, nine other sandy locations are also getting a nod. Here’s Dr. Beach’s list of “America’s Best Beaches” for 2009:
1. Hanalei Bay, Kauai, Hawaii
2. Siesta Beach, Sarasota, Fla.
3. Coopers Beach, Southampton, N.Y.
4. Coronado Beach, San Diego.
5. Hamoa Beach, Maui, Hawaii.
6. Main Beach, East Hampton, N.Y.
7. Cape Hatteras, Outer Banks, N.C.
8. Cape Florida State Park, Key Biscayne, Fla.
9. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Mass.
10. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, S.C.