Lincoln County 4-Year-Old And Dog Rescued From Well 25-Foot Deep

Lincoln County 4-Year-Old And Dog Rescued From 25-Foot Deep Well, Dog Had Been There For A Week

A Lincoln County, Mississippi, four-year-old and his dog were rescued from a well, 25-foot deep, on Monday, September 7.

According to the Clarion-Ledger newspaper, the young boy found himself trapped in the well along Gene Trail in Lincoln County after he heard his dog barking at around 5:00 p.m.. He turned around to see where the dog’s bark was coming from, and then disappeared into the well.

Clifford Galey, civil defense director for Lincoln County, told the Daily Leader newspaper that the well was approximately 25-foot deep, with an opening that was only about a foot and a half wide.

Emergency responders arrived at the scene Monday evening to rescue the boy and his dog. Lincoln County Sheriff Steve Rushing said the 4-year-old was not able to figure out how to attach the rope that emergency personnel were attempting to use to pull him out. Crews sent water down the hole to keep him hydrated until they figured out another plan. They said he wasn’t stuck, and was talking to them throughout the whole ordeal.

The emergency workers then set up a pulley system over the hole to the well, and were able to pull him out at approximately 8:05 p.m. as the emergency responders cheered. The dog, who is thought to have been in the well for nearly a week, was pulled out minutes later.

“I just can’t say enough about what everybody did to get this little boy out of that well safe,” Galey said. “The most important thing is, the child is in good shape right now.”

The child was immediately loaded into the waiting ambulance, and was taken to a nearby hospital. Although he was wet and cold, he was uninjured.

“He’s cold, he’s dirty, and he’s hungry,” Galey said. “And we promised him a ride on a fire truck, and we’re going to give that to him before we leave here tonight.”

The well was located in Brookhaven, about 70 miles south of Jackson.

Click here to view Galey’s press conference after the rescue.

[Photo via Shutterstock]