Man Dives Into Vat Of Acid To Save Co-Worker
A man who jumped into a vat of acid in order to save his co-worker has been labeled as a hero. Martin Davis, 44, was working on the roof of Swepco Tube LLC, when the roof gave way and he fell 40 feet into a vat of acid.
His co-worker, Rob Nuckols, 51, who was working on the ground floor of the building, did not hesitate to jump in after him, saving Davis’ life.
Fire Chief Vincent Colavatti, Jr. told reporters that Nuckols was standing waist-deep in the acid while he and three other workers pulled Davis out.
Nuckols told firefighters that, “I had to get him out of there.” Colavitti Jr. said that:
“It takes a lot of courage. He saw one of his coworkers in trouble and he jumped in after him.”
According to his 42-year-old brother John Davis, Martin Davis was in critical condition on Monday with a broken rib, punctured lung, and burns on his leg and side. He went on to say that:
“They have him on a breathing apparatus and he’s in critical condition. His condition is not so good. But he’s a young guy. He’ll pull through.”
The tank Davis fell into was filled with a 40 percent to 70 percent solution of nitric acid, which is used to clean metal tubing. Firefighters and witnesses have stated that Davis was fully submerged in the tank.
When firefighters arrived at the scene, they reportedly cut off Davis’ clothes and sprayed him with water to prevent the acid from burning through his skin. He was incoherrent, according to Colavitti Jr. Nuckols, on the other hand, had been able to spray himself off, though he still went to a local hospital, where his burns were treated and he was released. Three other construction workers were treated for minor burns and skin irritation.