One Direction surprised fans by releasing their new single “Drag Me Down” in the early hours of Friday morning. The four remaining band members of the popular British boy band took to Twitter to share the links on both iTunes and Spotify.
“Drag Me Down” has already shot to the top of the iTunes singles charts thanks to the band’s dedicated fan base. One Direction’s new single was also playing on both Beats 1 and BBC Radio 1 on Friday morning. This is the first time that 1D has released a song without hinting about a new song or promoting the new song.
“Drag Me Down” is reported to be the first single from the band’s upcoming fifth album. It also marks the first single ever since Zayn Malik left the band four months ago to start his solo career. He recently signed with RCA and Turn First Artists, so he can release his solo album within the next two years.
But fans aren’t thinking about Malik today. Instead, they’re thinking about “Drag Me Down,” which surprised Directioners out of the blue. Fans have already been reacting to the song. The hashtag #DragMeDown has been trending worldwide on Twitter all day on Friday.
” 1D will flop without Zayn and might end in 2015 ” SORRY BUT WE CAN’T HERE YOU FROM THE TOP OF THE CHARTS #DragMeDown
— Harry Styles. (@nouirry) July 31, 2015
According to fans, 1D’s new single is a mature sound for the band. Directioners also remarked about Harry Styles’ high notes and if the band used the same beat as Justin Bieber’s “As Long As You Love Me.”
— DragMeDown (@elen_cameron) July 31, 2015
harry styles was only 21 when he hit the high notes in drag me down like a pro https://t.co/9mEKbCt2Lw
— dani (@curlslads) July 31, 2015
— DRAG ME DOWN WTF (@iLarryftTommo) July 31, 2015
— rads proud of them (@amaranthinehesx) July 31, 2015
Loving #DragMeDown but it kind of sounds like As Long as you love Me by Justin Bieber..
— Laura (@Laura_Chappelle) July 31, 2015
#dragmedown sounds like a jem and the holograms song mixed with as long as you love me and I’m all about this
— Robyn (@StylesforStiles) July 31, 2015
— 31R14N (@eirianmeli) July 31, 2015
— DRAG ME fUCKING DOWN (@Demsmuffin) July 31, 2015
Directioners have also tried to decipher the lyrics behind “Drag Me Down.” Some think it’s about Zayn Malik’s tweets about making “real music,” while other fans believe that the song has a deeper meaning.
but if you really listen to the words, #DragMeDown has such a deep meaning
— kaelin 23 (@touringlarry) July 31, 2015
#DragMeDown I feel like its like a song saying to us thankyou for not leaving when everyone else is saying we will end and 1d will be over
— Ruth // PLS NIALL (@pop_ruth) July 31, 2015
— SUPERMAAAAAAAN (@Marta_Miadowicz) July 31, 2015
With the instant success of “Drag Me Down,” it’s any wonder if One Direction will perform the song while on tour. The four-piece group is currently in the middle of their On the Road Again Tour. The band is scheduled to perform at Philadelphia’s Heinz Field Stadium on Sunday, Aug. 2.
Heinz Field management has already released the following guidelines for Directioners to follow.
- All gates open at 5 p.m. and the concert will begin at 7 p.m. with opening act Icona Pop.
- Parking lots open at 3 p.m. but parking is limited around Heinz Field, so fans are encouraged to use public parking available at the West General Robinson Garage, the North Shore Garage, and at parking garages Downtown, in Station Square and at Allegheny Center. Fans parking Downtown can take the North Shore Connector at the Gateway or Wood Street stations.
- Fans must leave the parking areas no later than one hour after the concert ends.
- Upon entering the lots, fans will receive trash and recycling bags.
- The following are prohibited: solicitation of any kind, the sale of food and alcohol, glass containers, tents, personal port-a-johns, furniture (other than folding lawn chairs and tables), and oversized vehicles.
- The NFL’s Bag Policy is in place. Fans are encouraged to not bring a bag into events. If necessary, there are two options: a clear plastic bag the size of a 1-gallon Ziploc bag or a small handheld purse clutch. More information on the bag policy is available here.
- Heinz Field management does not permit the following items in the stadium: selfie sticks, coolers, bags (see bag policy), Thermoses, backpacks, large purses, cans, glass bottles, flasks, alcoholic beverages, laser pointers, noisemakers, strollers, video and movie cameras, tripods, audio recording equipment, weapons, and any other items deemed dangerous and/or inappropriate. All bags are subject to inspection. Umbrellas may be brought into the stadium but are not permitted to be open in the seating bowl.
Fans are already having a meltdown over 1D’s new single on Twitter. Hopefully they can keep it together when the British band arrives on U.S. soil this coming weekend.
What are your thoughts on One Direction’s new single “Drag Me Down”? Do you like the band’s new sound? Share your thoughts below in the comments section.
[Image: Mat Hayward/Getty Images]