Valerie Harper Update: As Death Rumors Spread, Playhouse Says 75-Year-Old Was Only Hospitalized 'As A Precaution'

Valerie Harper Update: As Death Rumors Spread, 75-Year-Old Released From The Hospital

Valerie Harper faced death rumors after being rushed to a hospital on Wednesday, but amid now debunked reports that the 75-year-old died, there is a much more positive update.

Harper was released from the hospital on Thursday afternoon, USA Today reported.

Harper was taken by ambulance during a performance of her musical Nice Work If You Can Get It at the Ogunquit Playhouse in Maine. Reports indicate that she had fallen ill, with the play’s director saying she was hoping to recover quickly.

“She wants all of you to know after some fluids and rest she hopes to be right back here on stage later this week,” the director said.

But a source close to Valerie Harper painted a much different picture.

“Just know it’s very bad,” the source told Entertainment Tonight.

There were even reports spreading that Valerie Harper had died, with a memorial page reportedly popping up on Facebook.

But a new report released Thursday afternoon claims that Valerie Harper is doing much better.

“The audiences and all of us here at the Playhouse are greatly enjoying our time with Valerie here in Ogunquit, and we are encouraged that she is feeling better,” said Bradford T. Kenney, executive artistic director of the Maine playhouse where she collapsed.

It was more than two years ago that Valerie Harper was told by doctors that she only had months left to live. Earlier this year she spoke to AARP magazine about overcoming the initial diagnosis.

“Happily, I am now almost two years out from my diagnosis of the metastasis of lung cancer to the lining of my brain. I was told I’d be dead in three months,” Harper recalled. “The doctors can give you only their guesstimate of what they see with this disease. I have been extremely lucky. Yet, it’s still terminal and incurable – ‘so far,’ as my husband, Tony says.”

But Harper said she still had to live each day with the knowledge that she had a terminal disease, and would choose to go on living her life.

“If I had to choose between walking across the street and getting hit by car and killed – boom – just like that, or knowing what’s coming, I’d take this,” she said. “Knowing that you have something you have to deal with, rising to the occasion, builds character.”

Harper said at the time that she had a lot left to do with her life.

“Though I’m 75, I’m not looking forward to death, but it’s there for all of us. If I wake up in the night terrified, I try to find a way to not let the fear have me. Every moment you spend in fear of cancer is a moment you’ve wasted enjoying life. Replace that fear – get in the moment and enjoy it.”

Valerie Harper is reportedly doing well after being released from the hospital. Cheryl Farley, director of publicity of the playhouse, told ABC News that doctors kept her longer in the hospital as they were “just being careful” given her cancer battle.

[Picture by Monica Schipper/Getty Images]