Charlie Hunnam has had an interesting life. The British actor has rarely shied away from discussing his life at public forums, and today we list 10 fascinating facts about the man himself.
10. Charlie Hunnam’s father was a gangster and a scrap-metal dealer, who passed away in 2013. In an interview with USA Today before his father’s death, Charlie Hunnam spoke about his father.
“My dad’s a real hard guy. He made money outside of the law. So I was very aware of the outlaw mentality. He was very kind of feared and respected and also loved in equal parts. I mean, he was really a kind of serious guy when he was younger.”
9. And while Charlie Hunnam’s father may have been an outlaw, his mother was a ballet dancer, and his grandmother a portrait artist in Newcastle, England. He spoke of his parents’ relationship in an interview with Showbiz Junkies.
“She met my father who was a few years older, who was a very kind of, even by that point, a notorious, well-known, well-loved face in the Newcastle scenery. She just got swept off her feet by him.”
8. When Charlie Hunnam was still a young boy, as reported by Collider, he was expelled from secondary school and was forced to take his exams from home.
7. Charlie Hunnam did not intend to be an actor, but a writer-director. It was with this idea in mind that he went to Cumbria College of Art and Design, where he graduated with a degree in the theory and history of film with a minor in performing arts.
6. Charlie Hunnam took an 18-month sabbatical from acting right before Sons of Anarchy. He wrote a film during that period, which is about a part of English society that has seldom been explored. He spoke to Collider about the film.
“I felt like I needed to do something that I had control over, as an artist, and also just do something where I felt like I had some control over my life, as just a human, out in the world. Being at the mercy of the acting profession, in the early days of one’s career, is really brutal and feels like you have no control over your life, at all.”
5. Charlie Hunnam met his girlfriend Morgana McNelis, a jewellery designer, in 2007. They lead a very un-Hollywood lifestyle, living just outside L.A. on a ranch. He spoke to SF Gate about it.
“We’ve got 30 chickens and a couple of donkeys, a couple of ducks and we’ve got a big, organic garden. We are going to try to live a bit more sustainably. The chickens have already started to make friends with me and I really want to eat them… Oh man! I am going to be taking them to the vet and giving them mouth to mouth.”
4. Charlie Hunnam has been candid about his marijuana usage, and as reported by Fashion & Style, one of his many talents include heading straight to the gym after smoking a joint.
3. Charlie Hunnam played the thespian Lloyd Haythe, starring alongside Seth Rogen and Jason Segel in Judd Apatow’s coming-of-age TV comedy Undeclared. The show only lasted for a season but has since garnered a cult following.
Charlie Hunnam and Seth Rogen can seen be discussing Rogen’s favorite film in this hilarious video clip.
2. Charlie Hunnam is dyslexic.
1. During the shooting of Sons of Anarchy, Charlie Hunnam would carry raw eggs to the sets, which were cooked for him by the craft service guys. Charlie Hunnam spoke to BoomsBeat about the experience.
“They’re like, ‘Why are you bringing your own eggs?’ I’m like, ‘Cause your eggs are from Monsanto. Mine are from a farm down the road.'”
— Hunnam-Fan (@ClubHunnam) June 27, 2015
[Photo: Frederick M. Brown / Getty Images]