New Burger King Menu Mimics McDonald’s
Burger King, which recently fell to the number three burger chain in the United States behind Wendy’s, has unveiled a new menu that they are hoping will revive its popularity. Burger King’s new menu features several “healthier” items, like salads, wraps, and smoothies.
The Associated Press reports that Burger King’s revamped menu has striking similarities to McDonald’s. The leading burger chain added salads to its menu in 2003, snack wraps in 2006, and smoothies in 2010.
Steve Wiborg, president of Burger King’s North America operations, said that the new menu, which features 10 new items, was partly inspired by the competition. Wiborg said:
“Consumers wanted more choices. Not just healthy choices, but choices they could get at the competition.”
The Street reports that Burger King is hoping that the new menu will help expand its customer base. Burger King has largely relied on young males to buy its burgers but is now hoping that moms, families, and adults will make Burger King a staple of their diet now that the restaurant is offering healthier snacks and smoothies.
“Over the past year, we developed and tested more than two dozen menu items. After extensive consumer testing in both our test kitchens and at restaurants around the county, our consumers chose these as their favorites. From there we worked hard to make sure these new items are truly the best of what our brand has to offer.”
Here are some of the items off of Burger King’s new menu.
- Garden Fresh Salads: BLT, Apple and Cranberry or classic Caesar Salad varieties are made fresh-to-order, premium ingredients and topped with a choice of TENDERCRISP® or TENDERGRILL® chicken (suggested retail price starts at $4.99).
- Chicken Snack Wraps: Honey Mustard Crispy Chicken Snack Wrap and the Ranch Crispy Chicken Snack Wrap are flavorful snack options with less than 400 calories each (suggested retail price of $1.59).
- Real Fruit Smoothies: Tropical Mango and Strawberry Banana smoothies are made with low-fat yogurt, real fruit and juices, providing a full serving of fruit (suggested retail price of $2.29).
- Frappés: Mocha and Caramel flavors are made-to-order with a hint of coffee and ice, topped with whipped topping and a swirl of fudge or caramel (suggested retail price of $2.29).
- Crispy Chicken Strips: Premium Crispy Chicken Strips are made with white meat tenderloin chicken, marinated and lightly battered in seasoned home-style breading, served in three- or five-piece servings and perfect for dipping in one of our classic or bold new sauces, such as new Kung Pao and Roasted Jalapeño Barbecue sauces (suggested retail price starts at $2.99).
Burger King has also launched several commercials for their new menu featuring celebrities like Sofia Vergara, Salma Hayek, Steven Tyler, Mary J. Blige, David Beckham, and Jay Leno.