Toddler removed smoking

Toddler Removed: Smoking Parents Lose Custody Of Toddler As Living Conditions Were Unimaginable

A toddler was removed from his smoking parents’ home due to extreme living conditions that were affecting his health. According to the New York Daily News, the 2-year-old was removed from the house after a judge decided that he was unsafe.

Already using an inhaler, the toddler was said to be living in a “cloud of smoke.” The house was described as “dirty, smelly and unhygienic” by health professionals hired to check in on the boy and his family.

“The parents seemed unable… when the issue of smoking around (the boy) was raised by any other professional, to acknowledge or appreciate the concern and adapt their behavior,” said Judge Louise Pemberton.

The toddler removed from his smoking parents is set to be placed in a foster home and will soon be up for adoption.

According to the report, the child’s father tested positive for cocaine. In addition to that, the man has been getting help for “mental health issues.” Those involved in the case say that the toddler was often left unsupervised and that he may not have been properly nourished.

The judge did say that this decision was difficult, but that she wanted the toddler to have a chance at a good, healthy life.

“I am afraid that all of these matters lead me to an unavoidable and difficult conclusion that the risks to (the child) in being placed with his parents are far too high. I want (him) to know that in my judgment his parents loved him very much and tried very hard but they were simply not able to meet his needs,” Judge Pemberton also said.

The toddler removed from his smoking mother and father is being taken way from them for his own benefit. It is unclear if his mom and dad were given an option to clean up their lives or to quit smoking before this decision was made, but the child couldn’t live in these conditions any longer.

According to Mail Online, the toddler was unwell and has had difficulty breathing for quite some time now.

Of course, secondhand smoke is quite serious and can cause major health issues, especially in cases of prolonged exposure. In cases like this, one can’t help but agree that the judge is making the best decision for the child.

Unfortunately, some parents just don’t know any better. In 2013, a 24-year-old mother in Washington state was arrested after allowing her toddler to take a bong hit. As previously reported by the Inquisitr, Rachelle Braaten was charged with “unlawfully delivering a controlled substance to a minor and manufacturing marijuana.” The toddler and his brother, 5, were placed in the care of Child Protective Services.

[Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images]

Comments