Susan G. Komen Executives Quit As Company Continues Fundraising Plummet
Susan G. Komen this week lost two more of its top executives as the company continues its struggle to raise money and repair its reputation following the organizations Planned Parenthood misstep.
Leaving the company is executive vice president and chief marketing officer Katrina McGhee who will step down on May 4 and Dara Richardson-Heron, CEO of Komen’s New York City affiliate who cited “personal” reasons.
The HuffingtonPost.com learned about the executives after obtaining a Feb. 28 letter that was sent out to the organizations employees by Komen founder Nancy Brinker.
Heron wrote in her own resignation letter that her decision was for:
“Personal decision to leave … to pursue new career opportunities,” but that it was “not an easy decision.”
After the Planned Parenthood scandal Susan G. Komen of Greater New York City postponed its annual fundraising gala because executives were worried about the agencies ability to raise money in the near term.
In the meantime a source told HuffPost:
“Brinker in complete meltdown. People want her to resign but she won’t.”
The situation has become so bad that an Arizona branch told the Arizona Daily Star on Friday that its race had only raised $200,000 of its $700,000 goal so far.
The organization now believes that it may not be able to fund up to 30 percent of the grants it planned to give out.
At this point Susan G. Komen will just have to wait and see if time mends the controversy.
Do you think Susan G. Komen got what it deserved or have donors reacted to harshly to a stance the organization reversed its decision about?