The Minnesota Vikings don’t want Randy Moss and that fact was confirmed on Thursday by general manager Rick Spielman who confirmed in no uncertain terms that the Vikings “will be moving on” next season without the 35-year-old receiver as part of their roster.
Moss announced his retirement one year ago and didn’t play last year but recently announced that he wanted to return for the 2012-2013 season.
Speaking about the teams decision to pass on Moss Spielman acknowledged that “Randy was a great player, but again our focus is more on trying to get a young team.”
In the meantime Moss’ agent Joel Segal told ESPN Radio’s Scott Van Pelt that he “was pleasantly taking a lot of phone calls within a few hours” of Moss’ announcement Monday on UStream that he was ending his retirement.We’ve had head coaches call. We’ve had GMs call.”
While Segal says some of the league’s top “decision-makers” have shown interest in signing Moss he did not reveal which teams have shown interest.
With Moss out of the picture Minnesota will now need use the free-agent market which opens on March 13 and the NFL draft to fill their receiver position and other holes in the teams offense and defense.
Do you think Randy Moss will find another home for the 2012-2013 season and was it a mistake for the Minnesota Vikings to pass over the veteran Receiver who could have helped their “young team” develop the skills needed to build a playoff contending football franchise?