In case you haven’t heard, there is a Kraft mac and cheese recall going on right now. As previously reported on the Inquisitr, more than six million boxes of Kraft mac and cheese have been recalled. Kraft Foods Group announced on Tuesday, March 17, that they’re recalling 242,000 cases of their macaroni and cheese products after several consumers complained of finding tiny pieces of metal inside the boxes.
Kraft said in a statement that the company “has received eight consumer contacts about this product from the impacted line within this range of code dates and no injuries have been reported. We deeply regret this situation and apologize to any consumers we have disappointed.”
In light of the Kraft mac and cheese recall, there are some alternatives that are healthier and even taste better than the traditional macaroni and cheese dinner.
Crock Pot Mac & Cheese Chilli
ABC Action News included a list of alternatives that taste better than Kraft mac and cheese. One of the foods on the list is crock pot chili mac and cheese, courtesy of Tammilee Tips. You can view the rest of the recipes on the video below the recipe.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained, 14oz
- 1 can tomato sauce, 8oz
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cup elbow macaroni (You can easily add more macaroni if you want to stretch this recipe farther)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Hot pepper flakes (optional)
- Brown beef with the onion and garlic until no longer pink. Transfer to your crock pot with a slotted spoon to drain liquids
- Add in tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder and black pepper and stir in the crock pot
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours until mixture is bubbling
- Cook macaroni on stove top until al dente, drain and stir into beef mix. Add in cheddar cheese. Cover and cook on low for 1 hour
USA Today also shared some dinnertime alternatives that are both easy and affordable. Ramen noodles, like Kraft mac and cheese, are cheap and easy to make. The new site noted that a 12-pack sells for under $3.00 at any grocery store. Another favorite with kids is canned ravioli since it also has cheese. Most canned ravioli is affordable and only takes a few minutes to cook.
Still craving Kraft mac and cheese? Use Velveeta instead. The Kraft website has recipes for homemade macaroni and cheese.
Cheesy Cheeseburger Mac
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-1/4 cups of water
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1/3 cup of ketchup
- 1 pkg. (12 oz.) VELVEETA Shells & Cheese Dinner
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Brown meat in a large skillet; drain.
- Add water, milk and ketchup; mix well. Bring to boil. Stir in Shell Macaroni; return to boil. Cover; simmer on medium-low heat 10 min. or until macaroni is tender.
- Stir in Cheese Sauce, tomatoes and onions; cook until heated through, stirring occasionally
Last, this pasta salad is a filling alternative to macaroni and cheese. It also makes the perfect side dish for any barbecue or picnic. Click here to learn how to make the High Five Salad.
This isn’t the first Kraft recall. Heavy says that 7,700 boxes of American Singles were recalled after they were stored improperly by a supplier. Also, 1.2 million cases of cottage cheese products were stocked improperly and 260 cases of Velveeta cheese were recalled because it didn’t list the correct preservatives.
Hopefully this list of mac and cheese alternatives will satisfy your palate until this recall ends.
[Image: Mike Mozart]