Neti Pots Linked to Deadly Infection, Two Deaths
It turns out using neti pots doesn’t just run the risk of making you look like a crunchy hippie that avoids actual medicine and is scared of chemtrails or something.
Actually, neti pots can be very effective with what they seek to accomplish- flushing allergens from the sinuses and generally irrigating the nasal area, loosening boogers and goop- but the seemingly innocuous devices sold at health food shops and similar outlets are the subject of a dire warning from Louisiana state health officials. It appears that use of neti pots can place individuals at risk of contracting a “brain-eating amoeba” called Naegleria fowleri. Normally contracted- albeit in rare circumstances- from swimming in freshwater bodies such as ponds and lakes- Naegleria fowleri can cause primary amebic meningoencephalitis. Symptoms initially mimic those of bacterial meningitis- fever, headache, chills, nausea, vomiting and stiffness of the neck- but soon progress to seizures, hallucination and loss of balance. Progression of the infection is rapid and death generally occurs within twelve days.
The warning comes after the second death associated with neti pot use in the region came to light- previously, a 20-year-old man died of the infection after using the device, and a 51-year-old woman also succumbed- and Louisiana State Epidemiologist, Dr. Raoult Ratard explained that neti pots could be used safely if certain precautions are taken:
“If you are irrigating, flushing, or rinsing your sinuses, for example, by using a neti pot, use distilled, sterile or previously boiled water to make up the irrigation solution. Tap water is safe for drinking, but not for irrigating your nose.”
Do you have a neti pot? Were you aware they posed risks when used with tap water?