A Georgia high school football player with a bright future ahead recently suffered a shocking, untimely death. Zyrees Oliver reportedly died due to over-hydration. Late Sunday evening, his family was forced to take him off of the ventilator.
The 17-year-old Douglas County High School student reportedly drank four gallons of fluid – two gallons of water and two gallons of Gatorade. According to the Atlanta Journal Constitution, Oliver collapsed at home on Tuesday, August 5. His aunt, Tammy Chavis, recalled Oliver complaining about cramping during football practice. He insisted the cramping was due to dehydration, which is why he drank such a large amount of liquid.
“You think with dehydration, the more water you give, the better you’re making it. No, not in all cases, it does the opposite,” Chavis told WSB-TV. Unfortunately, Oliver’s intake was far beyond the amount of liquid he needed to combat dehydration. “The water flooded his system and his brain started to swell,” said Oliver’s cousin, Bryan Stewart. “I believed he wasn’t going to come out of it.”
Oliver passed around 1:00am on Monday, August 11. Douglas County High School Principal, Dr. Tim Scott, released an official statement on behalf of the school in light of Oliver’s death.
“We are saddened to inform you of the death of Zyrees Oliver, a senior at Douglas County High School,” Scott said. “He passed away early this morning. Zyrees was part of the Tiger Family since the end of his sophomore year but during that short time he touched many lives. Zyrees was a blessing to his football and track teammates, his classmates, coaches and our school staff,” he said. “The death of any young person is a loss that, in one way or another, affects each of us. We have lost one of our children but we will not forget his academic, athletic and overall impact and achievement he had on and while at our school.”
Oliver’s family has set up a GoFundMe account for assistance with funeral and burial expenses.
[Image via Bing]