iphone death

Teen Dies After Being Electrocuted In Her Sleep By Her iPhone

An 18-year-old girl, who has not yet been named by authorities, died after allegedly being electrocuted by her iPhone 4s, which was charging under her pillow while she slept.

According to reports, the girl died in the Xinjiang region of China on July 24. The victim’s sister told reporters that she smelled burning when she returned home from work, and, on entering her sister’s bedroom, found her dead in her bed with burns across her body.

A broken iPhone which had been charging was found next to her.

At this time, it isn’t clear whether the victim was using an original Apple charger or a fake one. In some cases, non-authentic Apple chargers have led to deaths.

The Shanghailist reported that experts from the Forensic Science Association of China said the teenager had burns across her neck, hands and leg, and concluded that she’d died from electrocution.

The victim’s sister confirmed that the phone had been purchased from a retailer in Urumqi, and the family is now in discussions over a compensation claim.

This isn’t the first case of someone being killed by their iPhone. Back in July of last year, 23-year-old Ma Ailun was killed by an electric shock when she answered a phone call on her iPhone 5 while it was charging.

And soon after that fatal incident, a 30-year-old man from Beijing fell into a coma after receiving an electric shock from an iPhone.

In all three of these cases, fake chargers were blamed as being the culprit for the electric shocks. Apple in China offered to replace all fake chargers with a real Apple one for free in order to stop future cases such as these.

It seems that there is a big demand in China for fake iPhone and iPad chargers in order to keep up with the growing market. In 2011, 22 fake Apple stores were uncovered in one Chinese city, Kunming, alone.

Comments