Maryland Sonic Serves Marijuana To Customer, Woman Highly Upset About Dopey Mistake

A Sonic fast food drive in restaurant is in murky water after a small bag of marijuana was found in a container of french fries on Wednesday.

Carla McFarland visited the Sonic Drive-In on Guilford Drive for a bite to eat for her and her children. Upon receiving the food, she passed the meals around to each child before partaking in her own selection. Ms. McFarland almost choked on her breathe as she gasped at what was found within the container of french fries.

A small baggie filled with marijuana was placed within the fries. She did not appreciate the token within her meal, nor did she expect to see the surprise inside. Angrily, she confronted the manager of the restaurant and promptly contacted her local authorities.

The restaurant manager confronted the employees regarding the dopey move and received a confession from a highly embarrassed employee. The employee, who has not yet been named, was fired on the spot. Franchisee owner, John Louderback, notified Ms. McFarland personally to advise of the termination.

Ms. McFarland, obviously fired up over the situation, was in shock over the entire situation, but was mellowed out by the quick response and reaction from the Sonic Franchisee:

“I just kind of sat there in my car in shock. I kept thinking, what if my kids had eaten it? I definitely can’t say that they didn’t go out of their way. I honestly think they were more in shock than I was.”

Frederick’s County Sheriff Department’s spokeswoman, Lieutenant Jennifer Bailey, shared that the case is currently under investigation and that no arrests have been made at this time. The department’s deputies are in possession of the bag for evidence.

Ms. McFarland’s concern is not unwarranted. If the baggie of marijuana would have been in the french fries that she gave to her young children, who are 6 and 8 years old, the story could have taken a turn for the worse. The small pouch full of the bright green vegetation could have been easily mistaken for a toy surprise and eaten as though it were candy.

As most angry customers do, Carla McFarland posted about her experience on her Facebook page. Many of her friends commented on the post, making jokes regarding the ordeal, and creating quite a buzz as they shared the post. Ms. McFarland was less than amused, exclaiming:

“I think that’s why everyone thinks it’s so funny, because it’s marijuana and it’s going to be legalized. It could have been crack. It could have been cocaine in that little baggie.”

What sort of surprises have you found in your fast food?

Photo Courtesy: Shaina Neal

Comments