New Super Smash Bros characters were revealed at E3 2014, and it shows a combination of characters which would not have been possible back in the days of the NES.
In the days before the first real console war in history, Nintendo, Sega, and Atari were all basically rivals. Sega had the Master System, Nintendo had their console which took gaming back out of the abyss, and Atari was still not done trying to compete in spite of causing the big crash (They tried to come back with the Jaguar a few years later). Mario and Sonic were bitter rivals, with Sega’s mascot being the only tangible advantage the Genesis really had over the SNES. In those days, Namco hadn’t gone their separate way yet so Atari still had rights to Pac-Man.
Mega Man was the only character recently added which was still enjoying several sequels exclusively on Nintendo consoles back then.
The Super Smash Bros characters recently added include Pac-Man and Mega Man, which both join Sonic and Mario for the latest free-for-all on the Wii U and 3DS. For the first time ever, we will be able to prove alongside our friends which mascot would win between Nintendo (Mario), Sega (Sonic), Namco (Pac-Man), and Capcom (Mega Man).
The following is a list of Super Smash Bros characters we know about, and there could be more:
- Mario: The title character from most of Nintendo’s biggest games.
- Luigi: Mario’s infamous brother, whose anger we can now witness in Mario Kart 8.
- Yoshi: The adorable dinosaur that Mario first rode into battle in Super Mario World.
- Princess Peach: The princess that the Mario brothers usually always rescue.
- Bowser: The main villain which usually kidnaps the princess and makes the Mario brothers rescue her over and over.
- Rosalina and Luma: A pair of characters introduced in Super Mario Galaxy.
- Donkey Kong: The original villain for the Mario brothers, who eventually became a hero in his own adventures.
- Diddy Kong: Donkey Kong’s young cohort from his solo adventures.
- Link: The young hero famous for always rescuing Princess Zelda.
- Toon Link: The Zelda hero with more of a cartoon twist.
- Zelda: The titular princess herself, who rarely gets in on the action.
- Sheik: When Zelda first got involved in the action herself (Ocarina of Time), it was as this character.
- Samus Aran: The heroine of the Metroid series.
- Zero Suit Samus: The more modern version of Samus Aran from Metroid.
- Villager: A character known for his appearance in Animal Crossing.
- Pikmin and Olimar: The titular heroes of Nintendo‘s plant-like survival adventures.
- Mega Man: Capcom’s semi-robotic hero and a fan favorite among the Super Smash Bros characters.
- Kirby: This pink puffball has the ability to inhale his enemies and take their powers until he spits them out.
- King Dedede: One of the major characters from Kirby’s adventures.
- Fox: The commanding pilot from StarFox, another one of Nintendo’s action heroes.
- Pikachu: The iconic pocket monster which made Pokemon famous.
- Lucario: First appearing in the fourth generation of the Pokemon series, he can only be obtained through evolving a captured Riolu.
- Greninja: Another pocket monster from the Pokemon universe.
- Charizard: The fire elemental starter from the original Pokemon.
- Pit: The hero from Kid Icarus, a gladiator style fighter.
- Wii Fit Trainer: The shadow character who helped gamers get in shape on the original Wii.
- Ike: The main hero of the Fire Emblem series.
- Marth: Another hero from the Fire Emblem series.
- Little Mac: The upstart boxer who once beat Mike Tyson in Nintendo’s classic game.
- Mii Fighters: This is basically the avatar you create for Nintendo’s Miiverse.
- Pac-Man: The iconic hero of some of the oldest video games we know.
Are there any other Super Smash Bros characters you would like to see added by the Super Smash Bros release date this holiday season?
[images via 6aming]