School Gives Dog Treats As Cookies

School Aide Serves Dog Treats To Children, Tells Them They Are Cookies

Fourth-graders at a Pennsylvania school believed the school aide when she told them that the treats she served them at recess were cookies. But they weren’t. They were dog treats. The consequences could have been tragic.

The part-time recess aide at New Hanover-Upper Frederick Elementary School joked that they were dog treats, according to WFMZ. She then turned around and told the children that she was just kidding, that they really were cookies.

Student Gabriel Moore confessed to eating three. About 75 students ate the dog treats.

Parents are not happy about the demeaning treatment of their children, by a person that the students should have been able to trust.

Gabriel’s father said, “They trusted the aides, you know what I mean. Like what if it was rat poisoning or something? So it was kind of shocking to be honest with you.”

A statement from Boyertown Area School District Superintendent Richard H. Faidley has confirmed that the students were indeed given dog treats by the school aide. Part of the statement reads:

“Our research on the product indicates that the treat ingredients would not be harmful to people, with exception for those individuals with specific food allergies.”

A letter sent home to parents listed the ingredients of the dog treats, and CBS reports that school officials spoke with the parents of students with known food allergies. No health issues have been reported to date. According to a parent who commented on the WFMZ story, the treats contained peanuts. Her child has a peanut allergy, but thankfully was not hurt.

School Served Dog Treats With Peanuts

The outcome could have been tragic. Last summer, The Inquisitr reported the death of a teen girl who put one bite of a Rice-Krispy treat that contained peanut butter in her mouth. She immediately spit it out, and three epi-pens were used, but her reaction was too severe. She died in her father’s arms.

Food allergies are serious. According to Food Allergy Research & Education (FARE), up to 15 million people Americans are affected by food allergies, some of which are life-threatening.

Some in the community do not see the actions of the aide as something that should be punished. Kitty Isett of Bechtelsville told reporters, “We are ready to reprimand everybody and anybody for anything. And not thinking about, well, what did we do when we were kids.”

But this was not done by a kid. This was done by a representative of the school, entrusted with the care of children, paid with taxpayer money. She has been placed on administrative leave while the investigation is conducted.

Gabriel Moore says, “I do not want to take anymore food from an aide.” I don’t think anyone can blame him.

Parents send kids to school for an education. The actions of this aide were both potentially dangerous, as well as demeaning and insulting. Dog treats are simply not appropriate snacks to be given to children in any school setting.

[images via bing]

Comments